ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem   Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem I_icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2021, 9:50 pm

Does the AM show freq correctly? or is the display off on both AM and FM- This is a biggie for trouble shooting.

What is your level of technical capability?

What test equipment do you have?

Do you have a scope, RF generator and freq. counter?

Is the unit PAL, NTSC or other standard?

Are the IC's BGA or flat pack or thru board?

Scope the power supply and look for bad connections in tuner /display section of the board.

What is the level of hum in the PS feeding the logic IC's?

(We used to say that Yamaha was Japanese for intermittent. Bad solder was real common back in the 80's)

This is not an easy unit to work on remembering their equipment. You will need a high level of technical skill to trace the signal paths out and check the frequencies generated by a control IC.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem   Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2021, 6:51 pm

94.2 vs  94.3
Answer: = 0.106157% increase
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
94.3 vs 94.2 = 0.106045% decrease

So rounding off to 2 places It would be in tolerance.

Percent of error
(PE) = % error

T = True value or correct value of station = 94.2
 E = Estimated value = or actual displayed Value = 94.3

% Error = (T - E  /  T) * 100
or PE =  (T - E  /  T) * 100
 ______   -0.1  /   94.2   = * 100  = -0.106157.....

Sure looks like its at the edge but acceptable.
I don't know if it a tube or transistor because that may effect tolerance's. Tubes usually have either 5% or 10% Then you could tamper with the oscillator some. But if it isn't Broke...
If its Solid state The same applies as tubes and that's a different matter of Transistors VS   I.C.s Transistors in the oscillator can be very tight in tolerance but the other stages can be 5% or 10% because of the parts used.
I.C.s use internal clock so Oscillator should be in closer tolerance.
_____IMPORTANT!!!
What Brand and model is it?
Is the Internals within spec?
Is the display digital or An Analog slide rule type dial?

If its digital see if the instructions tell how to align the oscillator.

If its a slide rule Dial then some mechanical adjustment's along with adjusting the tracking. It's all in the details. slide rule dials are usually for FM 3 digits and you read the frequency off the dial, but if your not exactly in front of the pointer you get what is called Parallax.

When you ask questions you need to explain the brand, the model #
Or it wont give an idea to start. I would suggest you make a scanner copy to email because depending on how old the set is, there may be no other source. How do I know you ask, LOL

And just remember Most manufactures Fudge on most Specs. For influencing unsavvy customers.

I remember most stereos claimed this unit will put out this certain amount of power. But they finally got caught Because they were using peak power rather than the now standard of RMS power.
Which is totally different.

So I would say if your not satisfied and you don't have experience on repairing electronics then take it to a knowledgeable person. Always give the name of Brand and model number. that helps when you ask for support.

I don't know if that helped or not. You can look for Stereo forums or clubs on the WEB and most usually have Forums for explaining problems and solutions.

Example: with cars they include the top speed of the car and not most cars can achieve that speed. Then there's the comment of it isn't how fast it goes but How quick it goes. A car can do 100 miles per hour but how much time did it take to get to that speed.

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem   Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem I_icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2021, 12:25 pm

Hi all,
First of all I'm not even sure this device is considered "antique". If it's too new, please delete this message and I'll continue my search elsewhere.
I got this receiver and it's working fine except one thing :
the frequency shown on the display doesn't match with the frequency of the actual radiostation.
Let me give an example :
I'm planning to tune into a radiostation that broadcasts on FM 94.20.
The reception will only be perfect when I tune (according to the display) to 94.30
I have absolutely no idea where to look for the fault in this case.
All stations are according to the display 'real frequency + 0.1'
I do have all the schematics and service manual but no clue how to solve this,
thanks for reading this,
Robert
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem   Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yamaha RXV592RDS display problem
Page 1 of 1