ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak   Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak I_icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2022, 2:01 am

I should note that they made Carborundum detectors in similar tubes, but with an adjustable nut or screw on the end so you could vary the pressure on the Carborundum xtal.
Carborundum detectors also required a voltage on them to operate . IIRC it was like 1.5 to 3VDC.
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak   Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak I_icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2022, 10:19 pm

When restoring a radio and it uses a grid leak in a standard fuse size glass, just heat the ends of a fuse and pull the element out.
 Clean up the ends and glass and put a resistor in the glass and glue the ends back on. Most ends will have a small hole in the end where the fuse wire came through the cap and was soldered on to the end.

Not 100% authentic but will snap in and out. However the size of the glass or other material tube did vary in diameter. Sometimes the holders did look like an odd size fuse holder.

BTW grid leaks came in a few casing sizes, and some that even had the big "solder blobs" on the ends like early Atwater Kent resistors did. Just more info to add to the confusion. Smile

Last edited by FrankB on December 28th 2022, 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ve1arn
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak   Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak I_icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2022, 7:47 am

I have a couple of these in my parts stash. However, I never knew there were glass ones. I know now though. Thanks Frank!  Smile
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak   Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2022, 11:08 pm

Or just replace with a Resistor of same Value Idea.

FrankB

PostSubject: Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak   Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak I_icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2022, 11:34 pm

A few decades ago when I was working for a wholesaler a customer from one of the shops came in and asked for a "fuse", and handed the "bad" one to me.

Just because it looks similar to a fuse- being in a glass tube with ends that snap into a fuse holder type connector does not mean it's a fuse.

In reality this one was a grid leak resistor.

He had tested on low ohms and thought it was bad. It likely read in several megohms.

So if you find something that looks similar to a fuse- and some of these had solder on each end- does not mean it is a fuse. It may be a grid leak. Typically they can measure from 1 meg to 20 meg.
 Most were in glass tubes the same size aa a fuse or larger. They are getting hard to find also.( Some are also in ceramic type tubes, and I even saw one in a Bakelite tube too).
 Sometimes they will have the original label on them saying "Grid Leak XXX ohms". 

(Now remember if you must replace a grid leak, remember to replace the drip pan also. Razz  )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak   Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it a fuse? Nope. A grid Leak
Page 1 of 1