ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Capacitor question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Capacitor question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capacitor question   Capacitor question I_icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2023, 9:52 pm

From the color dots on the bottom of the capacitor I would say it is a 3 section 'lytic with a common ground. 3 red dots indicating positive and one black dot indicating negative connection points
You can use one of the same value and the same or higher voltage. Be sure to totally disconnect the bad 'lytic. The fact the capacitor is grounded tot he chassis means you can use one that is non-insulated. The correct values for the capacitor in voltage and mfd. for replacement will be shown on the split grey plastic outer cover of the 'lytic.
 IF THE VALUES or VOLTAGES ARE ALL DIFFERENT, THEN YOU MUST CONNECT THE WIRES UP TO THE PROPER TERMINALS. Otherwise it may explode.

The loose black one you show is NOT a suitable replacement.

Next to the capacitor it appears that someone may have re-soldered a ground connection with possibly acid core solder. That needs to be removed and the chassis and connection cleaned up re-soldering with rosin core solder.

Since the cover on the original cap is split, that indicates it has gotten hot.  Replace it.

WV means working voltage. Example- If the capacitor says 350 WV, never go lower than 350 Volts rating, but you can always go higher in WV if you have the room for a larger capacitor, Say 400 WV as an example.

I might suggest you read a few books on basic electronics and repair. Should be some online, or at your local library.

Remember that the filter capacitors can hold a charge and can possibly kill you if they are not discharged.
Back to top Go down
tminus7800
Beginning Member

Capacitor question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capacitor question   Capacitor question I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2023, 5:01 pm

I does appear as if it is a dual cap. So you would need two single caps to replace.
Back to top Go down
cry42
Beginning Member

Capacitor question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capacitor question   Capacitor question I_icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2023, 4:53 pm

Does this amp have a brand name?
If the old capacitor is a dual 40/40Mfd-350VDC you can certainly replace it with a new dual 40/40-350VDC, or two 40Mfd electrolytics placed under under the chassis, be sure to disconnect the old one from the circuit(s).
Good Luck.
Back to top Go down

Capacitor question Empty
PostSubject: Capacitor question   Capacitor question I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2023, 9:09 am

Hi, Some time ago i bought a small tube amplier. It works and with some songs the sound is not bad at all.

It looks like some Lafayette variant. There is a capacitor installed which don't look very healthy. The information on the capacitor says this; Negative Black 801850 40mfd 350wv red
There are 4 pins with 2 red en 2 black wires. So i assume it is a double capacitor. I found another one with 5 pins, A, B, and C. Both A and B are 40uF  and 385wv. Is it ok to replace it with the black one i found? I'm not shure if the old one is 40uF for moth combined or is it for one capacitor? And why they are rated at wv instead of just volt? What does the w mean? Thanks!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Capacitor question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capacitor question   Capacitor question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Capacitor question
Page 1 of 1