ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

What is a Gimmick Capacitor?- and Answer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

What is a Gimmick Capacitor?- and Answer Empty
PostSubject: What is a Gimmick Capacitor?- and Answer   What is a Gimmick Capacitor?- and Answer I_icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2023, 8:45 pm

Basically a gimmick capacitor is a very low capacitance capacitor.

Think of a "fixed trimmer" capacitor. Dirt cheap and easy to make.

Typically it is 2 pieces of wire twisted around each other, but I have seen pieces of twisted bell wire, hookup wire, coax cable section, lamp cord or speaker wire used.

One changed the capacitance by twisting the turns tighter or looser, or shortening or lengthening the parallel wires in lamp cord or coax.

Adjusting was done on the parallel wire (Zip or speaker wire) types by cutting the wire shorter & shorter until the freq. just started shifting the wrong way, at which point one stopped cutting. In reality, this could be as fussy as 1MM removed per cut. 

Capacitance is typically in the very low PF range, from a fraction of a PF to maybe 5 pf (?) max.

Mostly used in tuned circuits or oscillator circuits to tweak them to the last gnats hair of accuracy.

(Note: These are not to be confused with the short pieces of parallel wires that looked like super small zip cord used in some models of color TV sets on the CRT socket to act as a spark gap in case the CRT arced over in the base.)

I have seen a gimmick capacitor used as a trimmer capacitor on a variable radio tuning capacitor also. IIRC I also saw one used in a TV tuner decades back too, but this is an extremely rare occurrence.

They were also used in many home brew Ham radio circuits to change the freq. of a xtal oscillator in a transmitter.
Back to top Go down

What is a Gimmick Capacitor?- and Answer
Page 1 of 1