ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

When not to use an isolation transformer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

When not to use an isolation transformer Empty
PostSubject: Re: When not to use an isolation transformer   When not to use an isolation transformer I_icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2024, 6:11 pm

"

What would happen if you plug in the transformer first and powered up and then plug in the TV, then turn on the TV?"

The Tv sits there and usually blows the protective circuit breaker on a PR 57 or refuses to start. Sometimes cycling with an audible whine. Parts could be damaged.
. Most of the sets had no power transformers and needed the isolation the PR57 provided. The sets were unable to get a high enough instant current surge to get the SMPS to start. Plugging directly into the line was the only way to get them to start. (Typically on some specific models of RCA sets IIRC). Some sets would blow parts if used on a lower than designed operating voltage also.  We seldom used dim bulb testing except on stereos or as loads.

The shop only had the PR57 units, no high current variable transformers or high current isolation transformers.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: When not to use an isolation transformer   When not to use an isolation transformer I_icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2024, 2:14 pm

What would happen if you plug in the transformer first and powered up and then plug in the TV, then turn on the TV?

Or connect the dim bulb on as a load before turning on the TV As a parallel load rather than series?

I have a General Radio Variac and can use an isolation in series, but having a bigger wattage rating on the Isolation transformer?

FrankB

PostSubject: When not to use an isolation transformer   When not to use an isolation transformer I_icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2024, 10:09 pm

OK .
I have beat it into you to ALWAYS use an isolation transformer for servicing.

Well there is one major exception.

I worked on a lot of RCA color CRT type TV sets.

In using a Sencore PR57, (Isolation and variable output voltage transformer unit); many of the sets would not turn on after servicing.

The PR57 did not allow enough start up inrush current to allow the set to start up.

So out of necessity, I needed to plug them directly into the line.

This is the only exception I ever found, but it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

So I thought I couldn't be the only one with this problem and wanted to share the answer.

It IS a good idea to invest in a high current isolation transformer in a case like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When not to use an isolation transformer   When not to use an isolation transformer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When not to use an isolation transformer
Page 1 of 1