New Members Please introduce yourself.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-06-16, 9:53 pm

Great to see you join. POTS Don! My mom was born and raised in Flint. My grandpa worked in the Ford Plant as a supervisor on the line. Model T and A.
So mechanics are in my blood.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-06-16, 7:09 pm

Welcome!  The Signal Corps taught me to repair tube first, then solid state equipment.  It can be a good basis for ones' electronic training.

POTS Don

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-06-16, 6:20 pm

Hello to All: My name is Don, I am a recent watcher and now a member.

I have enjoyed radios and electronic stuff since childhood, and have

built from scratch or kits various radios, amplifiers, and other electronic

devices.

I served for 3 years in the U.S. Army Signal Corp. (67-70) and retired

after 30 years service from the local Telephone Company as a Station

Repairman/Cable Maintenance Tech.

Now days I collect old radios from my past, ones I used to have, and

ones I have lost, and ones I wished I had

Looking forward to being a part of this Forum.

Don
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-05-19, 2:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Name is Chuk Gleason, and (obviously) call is kb4mdz.  

Joined in large part because I've just collected a radio and 2 field phones from a neighbor who is moving away.  Radio has no tubes in it, but what sockets are in there are 4 pin.  No name on the wooden cabinet, just the dials. 2 vernier dials, one control which moves a coil thru a range of motion inside another, from parallel to the outer coil form, to 90 degrees from the outer coil, for coupling.  I've forgotten most of what I read about old radio designs; might this be a goniometer?   Question 

connections on the back for various batteries, and aerial.  

Already guesstimating, pre-WWII.

When I get a picture of the front I'll upload it.  

Thanks!!
Doesn't sound right they are called Variometer or Varicoupler.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-05-19, 2:26 pm

Welcome criageek and Aris!

Dig right in and help out with questions, problems, and solutions.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-05-10, 8:38 pm

Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy.  We would be happy if you included us in your projects.  Post often to let us know your progress,  Post some pictures.  We are here to help anyway we can.  Good luck!
Back to top Go down
criageek

PostSubject: New Member   2017-05-09, 6:14 pm

I'm a new user here and want to introduce myself.  My name is Rich and I'll be 62 in a few days.  I worked my entire career at a midwestern defense and aerospace contractor, first as an electronics technician and then as a geek.  And I AM a geek.  I love electronics and I love computers.  I build small electronics projects, including designing and etching my own circuit boards.  I write smart phone apps and desktop apps.  I hate Windows, but use it when I need to, but my preferred OS is Linux (Ubuntu).  I also enjoy my cars (a '79 RX-7 that I bought new, a '64 MGB that I restored, and an '85 RX-7 that I restored, as well as my daily driver) and golf.

I'm new to the radio restoration hobby.  My first efforts are a '42 GE LC-628 and a Philco 47-1230. I started with the GE because it's pretty simple and I have the radio working well.  Just need to refinish the cabinet.  I have it stripped and cleaned.  The Philco is my baby.  It belonged to my grandparents and I repaired it when I was 17, in 1972.  I recently decided I wanted to make it work again.  I recapped it and I have the AM section working, although the output is quite low and not many stations.  Nothing from the FM and shortwave yet.  The cabinet is in good enough shape that I won't be refinishing it...just cleaning it up.

I recently picked up a Fairbanks-Morse 72T (1936 I think).  This looks like a very nice radio...very cool dial!  Cabinet is in solid shape.  The top is a little rough, but I think it'll clean up ok.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my next project...a Balkeit 52 (1932 I think).  It looks like it's complete except the knobs and the cabinet looks solid.  Should be fun.  Never heard of Fairbanks-Morse or Balkeit before now  lol.

I also picked up a tube tester this past weekend...a Jackson 115.  It seems to work ok, but needed some cleaning and the glass in the meter was broken.  Now that it's cleaned up and the glass has been replaced with plexiglas it looks pretty nice.  I'll be posting in the test equipment section shortly with the lone remaining issue with it.

I'd have included some pictures here but don't see a way to add them.

Rich
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-05-03, 9:20 am

Been expecting some to be more active, your more than welcome to be very active here. cheers

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-05-03, 8:46 am

I've been a member for awhile, but I may not have introduced myself.

I have been in the old radio hobby for almost 40 years, but like a lot of guys my age, I'm starting to wind it down.  I am mainly into Magnavox stereos at this point.  I'm looking for a Magnavox Stereo Theater.  Basically a console stereo with a 27" black and white TV set in it.  I'd like to see a little more activity on this forum and maybe we can work together to make that happen.  Best to you all.
Back to top Go down
grundigman3000

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-04-30, 6:12 pm

hi everyone
my name is Aras....i'm just a hobbyist and i have a small collection of vintage tube and transistor radios.
in my spare time i repair radios , mostly with the help of gentlemen like you. 
thank you for accepting me as a new member
 yours

Aras
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-04-23, 9:00 am

Welcome to:
LizD & Joao Almeida

We are waiting to hear more about your hobby and solutions and problems.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-04-22, 2:17 pm

Hi all!!!
My name is Joao Almeida, 53 yo,  I'm from Portugal and I studied electronics in Portuguese Air Force school in 1982.
I have studied Tubes, Transistors and Microprocessors (Intel 8088) :-).
Now I am retired from Air Force and sometimes I repair some "old" radios.
So, nice "meet you" and best regards for all.

Joao Almeida
Back to top Go down
LizD

PostSubject: Curious about my old tube radio!   2017-04-17, 8:18 am

My name is Elizabeth and this radio was my grandpa's who has long since past. I loved this radio and remember singing , concert style to my grandparents always after dinner. I'm hoping someone can tell me more about it. The tubes are still there and I don't believe they work. It needs a good cleaning. The sticker inside says Westinghouse model 785 AC Radio Receiver. The schematics are shown on the sticker also. The tube unit itself says made in canada. So I'm wondering if the shell and unit are the same year. The unit has model 785 stamped on it too so I'm not really sure. There is a separate safety metal stamp that says 1976 on it as well.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-03-29, 1:36 pm

Nice that you could register. Welcome Patrick!

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2017-03-29, 6:29 am

Hello, my name is Patrick, and I've been retired for 2-years and now live in West Virginia.  Last spring I was cleaning out my basement and ran across a GE table top radio that I inherited from my grandfather in 1968.  I boxed it up in 1977 after a failed attempt to restore it due to missing parts.  It's been in the storage box ever since.  When I discovered it, I asked my wife what we should we do with it.  She had a great suggestion that with the internet today, I might be able to find the parts and finish the restoration.  Sure enough she was correct.  Not only did I restore that 1941 beautiful table top, it inspired me to restore a 1933 RCA console that had been dormant in our living room since I bought it at an auction in 1977.  Now I can't take all the credit as I found a wonderful coach/mentor in the radio restoration business who was a big help.  Since this keeps my interest and justifies all the tools I've purchased over the years, I now have six broken tube radios "in-waiting".  What brought me to this site was my purchase of a Jackson Tube Tester Model 49.  I was looking for some information and this forum popped up.  Right now I'm working on a Crosley radio/phono, but when finished I hope to begin work on the Jackson Tube Tester.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-12-03, 3:19 pm

Happy to have you on board Chuk.
When you post your picture,  look for the topic most appropriate and post it there, with a description of the plans for, or work you have done to it.

PostSubject: New member, Raleigh, NC   2016-12-03, 1:30 pm

Name is Chuk Gleason, and (obviously) call is kb4mdz.  

Joined in large part because I've just collected a radio and 2 field phones from a neighbor who is moving away.  Radio has no tubes in it, but what sockets are in there are 4 pin.  No name on the wooden cabinet, just the dials. 2 vernier dials, one control which moves a coil thru a range of motion inside another, from parallel to the outer coil form, to 90 degrees from the outer coil, for coupling.  I've forgotten most of what I read about old radio designs; might this be a goniometer?   Question 

connections on the back for various batteries, and aerial.  

Already guesstimating, pre-WWII.

When I get a picture of the front I'll upload it.  

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-12-02, 6:27 pm

Dan, Good to see you tell us about yourself.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-12-02, 10:17 am

hello everyone.
 My name is Dan Walker, and I am 71 years old. I live in Calgary Alberta, and I have been collecting antique radio for about 10 years. I have no formal training in electronics, but through the years I have learned  a lot about restoring them.
  I like the Canadian radios such as  Rogers,  and Marconi.
 I have two rogers 10-12 radios and three Marconi floor models plus a lot of others.
I especially like restoring the cabinets, but it sure is nice when I restore the electronics and they end up working good.
 I am always looking for Rogers parts. I hope I can learn  more from this forum and I know I can contribute , especially in the area of cabinet restoration.
  I just have to figure out how to post photos on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-11-10, 5:02 pm

Hello Max and Kriss. Please participate by posting questions and answers and your discoveries.
By doing that we will get more visitors, and then you will get a more diverse advice, knowledge and friendships.

Delighted to have you join.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-11-10, 12:51 pm

Hello!!  I am Kriss. I'm 59 and just retired from a 35 year teaching career as a HS/JHS science teacher and coach.  I am learning a new hobby in restoring vintage radios.  I have basic knowledge of electricity. I have done all the electrical wiring/conduits/panels/subpanels etc. in the 3 home additions that I've done here at my place in rural El Dorado County in California. What I lack is experience with circuits in electronic devices like the tube radios I am beginning to collect. I am hoping to pick the brains of the Masters here at Antique-Radio-Lab.  Thanks in advance for your patience in answering what I am sure will be a myriad of basic questions about electronics.
Back to top Go down
maxhendrickson1

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-09-12, 6:36 pm

Max Hendrickson
Ham since 1956

KØDPT
BSEE 1969 RF Engr.
semi retired 73
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-09-03, 9:49 pm

We are happy that you have joined our forum Don, browse around for subjects that interest you. If you feel you could address any of the forum threads with questions or added information, please do participate. Welcome.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-09-03, 9:39 pm

I have been a licensed amateur radio operator since 1957.  My interest in electronics led to my career in information systems and now as a professor at a university.  Thanks for providing this site for connecting others with similar interests in the hobby of radio restoration and all the other facets of electronics.  73
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-08-15, 6:54 pm

Welcome ton10291! (Tony)
You are more than welcome to post your experiences with your repairs. Whatever topic forum that's appropriate!

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-08-15, 2:27 pm

My name is Tony and I'm in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I've been a vintage radio program listener and vintage radio collector for over 40 years. My main interests are collecting and restoring higher tube count home radios, communications receivers and vintage audio equipment. I recently finished rebuilding a Hammarlund SP100 Super Pro and my current project is a Scott AM-FM Phantom.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2016-08-07, 11:19 am

Nice to have you onboard! I worked for the Navy with 32 years in the Electroncs Communications side of Shop 67. From 1967 during Vietnam till 1973, then did a stint at Tektronix. Got married in 1977, went to work at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard till my retirement in early 2004. 32 years of civil service.
I too am a Ham, but not too active now. I have my own room full of test equipment, mostly military, a few consoles, tabletop, and some transistor portables. Right now I am trying to calibrate a TV-7/U (first of the series) but always somethings coming up to delay.
So any way, if you have projects please post, or even snapshots. If you do YouTube videos, there also needed here. Jump right in. Advice and experiences are all ways welcome.

PostSubject: Hello All   2016-08-07, 2:01 am

Hello,
I am happy to be a new Member!
I am Bob a Retired US Marine and Electronic Technician with 45 Plus years of Experience and still learning I am from the US now Retired in the Philippines.

I am also a Licensed Ham Radio Operator in the Philippines.
I think this site is fantastic and look forward to Helping anyone I can and maybe learning some new things. 73

Bob
United States Marine Corps Retired
Semper Fi
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Good to have you join   2016-08-03, 10:46 am

We can always use more knowledgeable and experienced radio collectors. Welcome cheers  to our enclave of likeminded enthusiastic members. Don't hesitate to start posting. We have many subjects, and you can get involved by, making comments, asking questions, and please add your location to your profile, who knows you might have some of our members within your locale.

PostSubject: New Member   2016-08-03, 5:16 am

Been repairing radios for over 60 years.  An old graduate of National Radio Institute having worked for RCA, Magnavox and Panasonic as a field tech.  Now in my retirement years I have found much enjoyment in restoring old radios and guitar amplifiers. Laughing 

Tubenut
Back to top Go down

New Members Please introduce yourself.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next