ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem   Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2022, 5:32 am

FrankB wrote:
 I thought I would post this so you can understand just how critical lead dressing can be.
Frank makes a very important point which must be learned by those new to the hobby. Lead dress can be very important in many circuits.

FrankB
FrankB

Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem Empty
PostSubject: Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem   Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem I_icon_minitimeNovember 6th 2022, 9:08 pm

Back in the 80's I was rebuilding an RCA console for my boss for his office.

I removed the multi-section old screw base filter (non-insulated), and mounted the the replacements under the chassis. All were properly routed and properly grounded. Finished the total rebuild and turned the set on. (The entire can was aluminum, including the screw base, which was the ground).

What the heck! The radio had a horrible hum when I was finished. Just horrible! Bad new stock filters?? Nope.  Shocked

After some  agony I finally discovered that in this specific radio needed the filter caps mounted on top of the chassis, shielded by the filter cap can.
 I gutted the old filter cap and mounted them all in it. Hooked the 3 filter sections up as they had been, and the hum was totally gone. The radio worked properly. 

I can only surmise that in this case, the lead routing on the filters under the chassis introduced some odd sort of hum into the wiring that went away when the can was re-stuffed & mounted on top of the chassis. 

This is the only case of this I have ever run into in all my years of servicing.

I thought I would post this so you can understand just how critical lead dressing can be. I am still spooked as just how sensitive this set was to wire routing issues.
Back to top Go down

Re-Routing Filter Capacitors Problem
Page 1 of 1