ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Silvertone 1404 speaker.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
robertp
Beginning Member

Silvertone 1404 speaker. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2024, 4:53 pm

Thanks for the help. I hate getting old and forgetting things. That what I had figured. I measured the taps so I can Word is Censored the low ohms would be center tap. I found the schematic from what this speaker came from and it's an RCA-R9. So I will cap the center tap and run with it.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2024, 4:39 pm

That transformer is not the field coil - it is the output transformer. The field coil is on the back of the speaker Word is Censored. One end of the output transformer primary should be connected to the field coil (that's where the output tube B+ comes from). The other end of the primary goes to the plate of the output tube. Since you have a single ended output you should be able to just cap off what you have identified as the center tap. After you get everything put back together you need to measure the plate voltage on the output tube to be sure that it looks reasonable.

robertp
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2024, 4:10 pm

Ok this is what I found out, I located the 2 wires for the field coil and 3 wires for the voice coil are as follows. The blue wire is common and one white wire measures 243 ohms and the other is at 451 ohms. So I was thinking one of them is on the center tap and that would be the 243 ohm lead. I should be able to cap it off?
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2024, 10:04 am

What you may have in the new transformer is a center-tapped primary for a P-P output. If you can identify the center tap you can just leave it disconnected.

robertp
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2024, 9:48 am

When I get back to the radio I will look at the values. AL80b on the bench now.
Thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2024, 10:22 am

My point was that for the new speaker you need to measure the resistance of the windings, measuring from each terminal to the other four, in order to create a schematic which will help you to identify the function of each terminal.

robertp
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2024, 9:36 am

I believe the speaker came from an RCA R 6. The speakers look identical except for the extra wire. Yes the ohms were the same?
Back to top Go down
Dale H. Cook
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Junior Member 50+ Posts
Dale H. Cook

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2024, 9:19 am

Do you have any idea what make and model of radio the new speaker came from? Have you ohmed out the windings of the new speaker to identify the five connections and compare them with the four connections on the 1404 print?

robertp
Beginning Member

PostSubject: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2024, 7:21 pm

New to the forum,
I have a question about speaker wiring on a vintage radio. I am working on a Silvertone model 1404.
The radio was received without a speaker. The original speaker had a 4 pin connection to the speaker, 2 for the field coil and 2 for the speaker coil. I was able to locate a replacement speaker and it is almost an exact replacement but the speaker has a 5 pin plug. I can hook up the field coil and speaker coil but the transformer has a 5th wire. Would that be for a center tap or can I cap it off and run with the 4 wire plug?
Thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 1404 speaker.   Silvertone 1404 speaker. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silvertone 1404 speaker.
Page 1 of 1