ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Puyallup Hamfair

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 11:49 pm

Cliff,
Wish I had seen you. Been nice to have an eyeball.

I just ordered a new Hakko soldering station today from B&D Enterprises along with a large batch of electrolytics. I got the one with the manual temp control. (One less thing to fail, v.s. the electronic controlled one with the password and special key protection- remember a password and where I put a bloody key when I need to change temp? Not likely)
They were on sale and I am tired of always having to replace either the heating element in my Weller station or the thermal sensor. Not to mention the tips are poorly plated and just don't last in repair shop use. Tips for my Weller are up to about $8.00 ea. A far cry from th e 2.95 a few yrs back. THe heater element typically costs me 35.00 when I can find the correct one.
The Hakko ones and Xytronic brands have a great reputation and I have been told by several techs that the Hakko tips last a minimum of a year under constant use, and 5-6 years has not been uncommon.

B&D is a great company to deal with, fair and back their stuff 100%.

Yeah, wish the hamfair had been better. Like always, most of the really good deals are gone before the doors open.

I was also looking for solder and saw none at all there, unlike last year.

Even the "estate sale" tables prices on the "junk"were much higher than last year, with little of real interest.

I am hoping the Olympia Ham Club will have another swap meet- Maybe at Cabellas- like last year.

I sold and bought a few items and it was pretty nice and well organized.

If they have one, I'll fill the M925 5 ton up and sell from it, and maybe even take the matching 1.5 ton trailer.
I found a mil. radio antenna mount that should work on it and I have a mil. radio in the garage I can install in it too. Probably put in 2 meters for good measure.

We are planning to take it to Chehalis for sure barring unforseen circumstances. It IS painted camoflauge, so you might not even see the truck Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 9:01 am

I was situated a the last front table at the rear entrance on the bottom floor.
I must agree with the appalling high prices this year. Must be do to the economy and less jobs.

I did pick up a Millien Grid dip meter in almost new condition for $45 with all coils. Even the plastic coil forms were not yellowed from age. Very Happy

I picked up a Weller soldering station. It uses a magnetic temperature control rather than a adjustable knob. Not a burn mark on it and only $10.

I also picked up an 150 watt Isolation Transformer I was told (but will look into that, I think its closer to 75 watts) for $10, not bad for me any way.
We left for Puyallup at 6 A.M. stopped at Denny's with a few Hams for breakfast in Fife (every Year). Stayed in the Pavilion till about 3 P.M.

Interesting side note: This Mike and Key club sponsored event Draws Poeple from as far away as Japan, California, Nevada, Arizona, Canada and even NewYork and Chicago. There were about 400 tables set up and in my estimation about 2000 visitors + or - a couple hundred. It was the smallest in the three years I have gone.

One guy I personally know has a huge warehouse full of Military and civilian test equipment and radios, and is always demanding top dollar. He had a TV-7 tube tester and wanted $800 for it. Passed on that one Rolling Eyes LOL

Now I will have to go online and look for the manuals if I can.

FrankB

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair I_icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2013, 6:19 pm

Well, not having a table there this year really sucked.
To make it worse, I went by at least one row where the 2 tables had no items on them in the back of the building. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
I could have sold at those tables.
My pet peave is the guys who buy table space, not put anything on it and just use it to get "first grabs" on the good deals before the hamfair opens. :evil: :evil:

There were 4 lines waiting to get in this morning. I'd venture a guess at close to 800-1000 folks in line by 8:30. They got smart this year and had 4 entrances open for the "Running of the Hams".

Anyway, I felt the prices on many items were excessive and the sellers would not budge down to what I felt were reasonable prices. Many itens that went in past years, like Eico sig. gens were priced at 40.00 or so, which normally sold for 1.00-15.00.

They had several LM freq meters way over priced, IMHO. ($45.00 for one without the wooden box and original calibration book?! ). I'd sell mine for that price and gleefully chortle all the way to the bank!

I bought several assorted "grab bags" and one early Hickok tube tester in poor shape. Spent 17.00 + entrance fee for myself and the SO.
Nowhere what I typically spend there.
I left by 10:30, another record for leaving early.
I was not feeling well at all and all the walking really tired me out.

It was nice to see an almost "full house of vendors" for once (excepting the noted above). Many were new faces to me . I saw very few of the hams I knew this year, which was sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puyallup Hamfair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puyallup Hamfair   Puyallup Hamfair I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Puyallup Hamfair
Page 1 of 1