ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrankB
FrankB

Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.   Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2020, 6:53 pm

I'd give Tacoma Rubber Stamp a try. Good, reliable folks there.
Tacomarubberstamp.com
253-383-5433

They are good at replacement & repair. I had them make up several custom stamps for me, and pretty reasonable.
 I needed a numbering machine, and they had them available, on spl. order.
Back to top Go down
chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.   Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2020, 4:52 pm

19&41 wrote:
Be sure to use a good strong filament, to counter the stretch of the silicone.  Good luck!
Canvas, on the radial ply...

I have a bolt of it 3' some 25' long Very Happy
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.   Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2020, 5:00 pm

Be sure to use a good strong filament, to counter the stretch of the silicone.  Good luck!

chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Re: Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.   Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2020, 4:16 pm

19&41 wrote:
Couldn't you use silicone RTV for it?  rub it into a piece of your filament material then apply some to the back of your number belt with a little on top, and let it cure on a sheet of waxed paper with a weight on top.  trim any excess after it's cured.
The silicone though came to me when I was answering another post on this board this morning. You have a good idea! Since silicone will cure to silicon I prepare both surfaces, let them cure, then apply fresh silicone, put the "bandage" on. I should do this over a round mandrel and used a hose or band clamp until cured... This should leave me with a smooth unblemished canvas on the inner surface so the band will operate smoothly over the platen of the stamp...

Good idea for a rainy day!

Thanks!

Chas
Back to top Go down
19&41
Technician
Technician
19&41

PostSubject: Re: Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.   Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2020, 2:38 pm

Couldn't you use silicone RTV for it?  rub it into a piece of your filament material then apply some to the back of your number belt with a little on top, and let it cure on a sheet of waxed paper with a weight on top.  trim any excess after it's cured.

chas
Technician
Technician
chas

PostSubject: Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.   Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. I_icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2020, 3:40 pm

Fellas,

I want to do large "professional" numbering of my generic tube boxes...

Long ago I found a LARGE band stamp 36pts., that has a combination of letters and numbers. There is nothing like it made today that I have been able to find. It uses old style characters.  An all new stamp will be well over $50 and not have 1920's fonts...

Kinda looks like this one filched from eBay:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It will print really cool old school numbers/letters for my white boxed tubes.

What has happened is the rubberized canvas back has dry rotted and some of the bands have broken. No doubt the band will break in another area too.

I can remove the bands and turn them inside out for repair. But I need to try and determine the best way to make a patch that, is strong, flexible, not sticky on the inside and not too thick. There is no adjustment for a smaller inner circle of the bands if the patch is too thick.

Recently I bought a large sheet of individual bike tire patches. In concept, a tape or patch that would cure would work fine BUT should have a integral canvas back.

Problem with TAPE is is does not cure and will always stays sticky, I suspect that stuck to old dried canvas the rubber stamp will soon fail as the frame of the stamp holder and all the other bands puts some tension on the bands...

That is why I have my doubt about FLEX-TAPE.

A bike patch works by roughing the rubber and getting the electrons to standup, the adhesive completes the electrical bond to the rubber patch as the patch electrons are standing up after peeling away the liner. Massaging the patch completes the bond and polymerization takes place. I am bonding to canvas that is somewhat rubberized.

I do think I have a bolt of muslin canvas around I also have some FRESH Weldwood contact cement..

Now if I prep the canvas and the stamp band with a soak-in one coat of Contact Cement then re-coat each, again. I may have something. There is atrick to bond contact cement by letting it go beyond the "instant" bond drying period. Then, activate with solvent, unsure, this would be as effective.

I am also thinking to set the repair canvas like a radial ply tire and do oversize on the edges. Bond in the allotted time for the second coat. Allow cure for a week, then sharp scissor or knife trim the edge waste.

I don't know if contact cement will stand up to the flexing over the years.

Now if there were a good rubber cement designed to flex....

Not the rubber cement meant for paper paste-up in graphic arts...

So I am open for suggestion?

Is there a patch material for, say canvas tents? Something that cures, not a forever sticky tape?

I have but one shot to get the project right. It is also possible that the rubber stamp band is just too far gone to save Sad

I'm sorta directing this post at Frank, he has offered so many novel solutions this may be one at the very bottom of Frank's bag of tricks!

What Say?

Chas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.   Need to repair a rubber, band stamp. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need to repair a rubber, band stamp.
Page 1 of 1