New Members Please introduce yourself.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
McBarry

PostSubject: New member intro..   2011-07-19, 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks,
I'm David, I live in Canberra, Down Under, and confess a love of valve gear.
Specifically guitar amps, and have joined the site to further my slowly growing knowledge..
I'm also on a steep learning curve for valve testers - just gained a Jackson 637 and am trying to learn about it and am planning to service it B4 testing my growing collection of valves..
I don't know a whole lot about radio's per se, but pls don't hold that against me..LOL
I'll chime in probably infrequently, but have bookmarked the site and will call back regularly.
Cheers, David
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-01-15, 1:40 pm

Welcome Mike.
Glad you found us.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-01-06, 7:44 pm

welcome, there is a lot to learning, But it can be fun and challenging till you catch on.

PostSubject: Hello from a New Member   2013-01-06, 6:34 pm

Hi, new to this hobby. Mostly absorbing information, although sometimes slowly. I am retired, and live in East Tennessee.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: We have 262 registered users   2013-01-02, 8:23 am

Our users have posted a total of 1,870 messages

I see We are getting more members which will help, So welcome to our newest members!
Please post anything about your experiences abut coming into the world of antique radios or electronics training.
or what you need to know about reading and training helps. We are glad to be of Help on Radios! and other related topics Very Happy

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2014-07-30, 8:25 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : update number)
Back to top Go down
Bill Cahill

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-12-20, 7:55 pm

Hey, c'mmon, guys. Don't let Christmas stop you............
Merry Christmas, everybody!
God bless you all....
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-11-30, 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forums. You sound like you have an interesting life.
Bill Cahill

Exprof

PostSubject: Thank you for your invitation   2012-11-30, 11:16 am

Greetings all,

My name is Richard and my username is Exprof. I was born in Memphis, Tennessee, and have lived in Iowa City, Iowa since 1991. I hold a Ph.D. in German from the University of Iowa, and in a previous life I held an assistant professorship in German at Knox College in Galesburg, IL--hence my username. I now teach at the Iowa City campus of Kirkwood Community College. I'm a tournament level chess player; I have played chess since age 12, and I’m a member of the U.S. Chess Federation and the Iowa State Chess Association. In addition to chess and antique radios, and I’m also interested in old movies (mostly film noir), bicycling, baseball, and vintage cars. One of these days, I'll tear myself away from old radios and finish the 1966 VW Beetle sitting in my garage.

Back to top Go down
Bill Cahill

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-11-27, 11:29 pm

Welcome to the forums.
Bill Cahill

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-11-02, 3:46 pm

Good to see you MEZLAW and will provide a link to your web page Here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-10-31, 9:10 pm

I'm a new member, but an old guy. LOL I'll cut and paste my into from another forum.

Hello......My name is Larry.

I'm a telephone man and the owner of LSCG Inc. I studied at the Connecticut School of Electronics in New Haven and ended up working for Southern New England Telephone Co. for nineteen years as a PBX design Engineer and spent a little time at Bell Labs. I love Virginia so much that I gave all that up and move to the Shenandoah Valley. I then worked for Comdial Corp. for ten years as a Field Engineer and Product Manager. Then I decided it was time to go into business for myself and have been an authorized Samsung dealer for the last eleven years. Now at 62 years young I've decided to semi retire and get back to what I did at fourteen years of age....FIX Radios!!!!

For full disclosure, I am also an administrator at a telephone forum call myphonetechs.com

When I'm not working in electronics you can find me restoring old Fords.

I sure hope I can help and pull my weight!!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-10-30, 3:08 pm

Glad to see you did finally get registered.

Welcome and I'm kinda in the same boat. Except my dad is 93 and were selling His House, what a legal Nightmare, He divided everything down the middle including paying utilities with His second wife, and each had a trust that has to be dealt with just to sell the house, and 3 lawyers later we may finally get His house sold.

I am also rearranging my Radio room and decided to thin the Herd of radios, a lot are cheap retro radios, a couple of cheap plastic boom boxes, A Pioneer surround Stereo shelf system (it was given to me and I never even plugged it in) Bought another bookshelf, and doing a lot of re-arranging. I had so many empty cardboard boxes (I had grand Ideas for shipping out repaired radios) that I got rid of most all and can actually turn around in the room without bumping into something. LOL Well almost bounce

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-10-30, 1:51 pm

This is willy3486. I have been on a few other sites and you may be familiar with me. If not here is some info. I got onto electronics as a kid in the 70s and worked in a shop the first time back then at about 14 years old. I repaired what I could. When going to electronics school I got into tube radios as they were cheap and many were free. I never really got out of them but I did cut back to where I didn't do them a while. Now I am getting back into them. I have been moving items and getting my mother in law ready to move. She is 80+ years old so I am moving all the stuff on the farm they had. After three years I am almost done, both physically and with the move. I plan on getting back into some kind of side repair business to support this hobby. I have also reworked my repair shop to be more like a shop from the 50s.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-10-21, 9:45 am

Harold! old fellers are the backbone of forums here, glad to have you on board. Thats just about the same time I was first getting into radio. But I didn't get my first license till 1968-69.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-10-20, 7:51 pm

I am an old feller that is fairly new to computers and all these great forums I am finding. What great tools! I have been a ham since 1956. Cut my teeth connecting a Central Electronics to a BC-610 and mod. the 610 into a linear for SSB. Fun stuff for a 21 yr old.
Have some boatanchors. Like to repair old tube equip. Trying to get my R-390A going right now.

Harold
k4mfn
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-09-12, 11:25 pm

Great Picture!

PostSubject: Old member, new Avatar   2012-09-12, 10:59 pm

I finally got around to loading up my Avatar tonight.
Yes, that IS really me.
Took 1st place at a Star Trek Con with that costume & makeup cheers

So for those of you who thought I was probably from a different planet, here is proof.
73'
FrankB
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-09-04, 10:22 am

Glad to Have you on-board Sam, Yeah I didn't get up there this year, car problems, but my buddy took some stuff for me and brought back a Kenwood Dip Meter DM-81 minus a few coils but it does work, I also got a transistor curve tracer it is not one with a built in Oscope, but external wires that go to using an Oscope. Rather dirty but cleaned up nice and had to get the switches rotating as they were frozen. Haven't plugged it in yet, but hopping it works. I did find a manual on line after an exhaustive search.

Not to many are posting in the last several weeks, but I think its due to families on trips and getting back for school and vacation times too.
What area do you Live in may I ask?
I live in Port Orchard and have a couple of buddies that go to PSARA one is Monte in Tacoma and the other Is Ernie.
Ernie and I meet with fellow Hams at a Pizza joint on thursdays.

So again Be sure to dive in.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-09-04, 8:59 am

New member here, Sam, also from the Puget Sound area. Wondering what people thought about the PSARA swap meet a few weeks ago. I was a bit disappointed compared to years past but liked the weather and location.

Nice site, Cliff; I'll be spending more time here!

Sam
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-08-30, 11:22 am

Bob did your mom have memorabilia from Zenith, Letters, Pins, badge, Employee newsletters, They can be valuable to hang on to as family history. Also to collectors. Thanks for posting.

PostSubject: About me   2012-08-29, 4:45 pm

Hi, I'm new here, and if anyone's interested here's a little about me. Although I've been into electronics on and off since I was a teenager, I only got into old radio collecting and repairs around 2004, starting with 1920's TRFs, since these were relatively cheap and pretty simple to fix. Some of my favorites are a Marti R10 and a Sparton 110AC. Both have all Kellogg tubes and the latter still works. I seemed to gravitate towards early AC sets. Now I also collect sets from the '30s and '40s. My mom once worked at Zenith, and I find myself wishing I could get more of those, but the sky-high prices usually scare me off.

I'm also a professional writer and an avid reader, so I've been drawn to old radio mags like Radio News and Wireless Age. They give you a great idea of the state-of-the-art and life in general in years past.

So anyway, here I am.

Bob
Back to top Go down
SWsenior

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-08-28, 4:25 pm

I thank you for the response. I have learned some, but there is a lot I just don't understand. I happened to pick up a ton of parts from a guy in Tucson. (actually a relative ) over a year ago. His health went bad and he just gave up his hobby. He also was a ham. He gave me the parts, but I secretly gave his wife some money for the parts. I tried to sell some of the stuff on different forums, but didn't do to well, but again gave the money to his wife. I have used some of the things, but I would guess members here would be more able to use them than I will ever be. I think I will put up some of the things on the board here to sell. Maybe some of the members can use the parts.

SWsenior
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-08-28, 3:53 pm

SWsenior thanks for responding. Lurking is good as you still show up as being active even though no postings.

PostSubject: Just a old man   2012-08-28, 7:19 am

I mostly just lurk, but have built a few crystal sets and have had fun listening for DX. I am on several forums and don't say much as I don't have much to say. I don't have the knowledge that most here have. I do post a question occasionally, but it seems that it gets ignored, another reason for not posting much on forums.

Thanks for your time.

SWsenior
Back to top Go down
The Amp Man

PostSubject: Topic Hello:   2012-08-27, 9:55 pm

Just thought I would say hello and sorry I haven't posted any questions. I been tech since 1975 and I use to help my dad in his shop in California testing tubes. Now I work on guitar amps mostly at a music store and dabble some in old radio repair. Well have a good evening and appreciate the web site -- its very informative.

Vern from Oregon
Back to top Go down
bluebuzzer123

PostSubject: New member in the UK.   2012-08-27, 12:04 pm

Neutral Hello to you all, I'm a retired mechanical engineer living in Yorkshire England, I'm Mick (bluebuzzer123) and have been interested in radios/crystal sets from school days but life sent me in a different direction so aim to address this. Been collecting old radios for a couple of years and have just 3 to date, (1) Hallicrafters tw 2000, (2) Hallicrafters s38b (3) Pye p31mbq portable suit case type, only got the Pye working at present but hope to gain experience and confidence to tackle the TW 2000?, As this is in near mint condition and completely original I may just have to win the lottery and bite the bullet and let the experts sort it out?.
Quit like crystal sets and there construction none of that nasty shocking non seeing/smelling stuff, I've had a couple of samples of it in my working life so try to avoid it if possible.
Great site, Great forums.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-08-27, 10:42 am

k5psh wrote:
hello folks

i am jerry---k5psh----joined some time back, but failed to introduce myself--inertia is my enemy--

i began my interest in radios at about age six--that would have been 1950--i'm really not much of a technician, but i enjoy the forums and read to learn--i have been a ham since 1958--did 4 years in the army security agency as a morse intercept operator--
i enjoy building and listening to crystal radios--prior to about 2004 i had no idea what could be accomplished with so simple a device--it is the ultimate in the "low power" experience--it takes the burden off the other end and places it directly on the shoulders of the one who wants to do the most with the least--

regards

jerry----k5psh

k5psh

I have always been fascinated with some of the super-duper crystal radios but have never built one yet, but I to like to read what others do with those simple???? sets.LOL
Welcome Jerry and continue to post. Thanks!

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-08-27, 10:36 am

musicselectorfn1 wrote:
Hello there, folks!

I'm a complete noob (newbie) when it comes to electronics and radio, so sadly, i don't have much knowledge at all but hope to learn much and pass on the knowledge i acquire.

i'm from southern california and have recently started collecting old radios/record players.

Thanx!
-joe
If you are intrested in radios just as a collection that's OK, but if you want to repair, you will need to go to several forums to get information on electronics. There are soldering tutorials, electrical safety (Very Important), parts you need to order, basic tube electronics ,basic electrical, theory, Math, and of course schematics understanding or you will be lost. Find out about AC inductance, capacitance, reactance, Frequencies etc.
There are many basic books on electronics that are available in PDF format that are free on line also.
It can be a challenge, but the need to succeed in this field is a basic stepping stone.

Just to give you some assurance I also started my trail to radio in In Long Beach California at the age of 13 or 14 and I tried to build a crystal radio from a cub scout book. It was the Fox hole radio using a razor blade and a pencil lead with diaper pins to hold the lead. And a crystal earphone, I wound my own coil but didn't get it to work so I started going to the surplus store and bought my first rocket crystal radio then was hooked. So hang in there New Guy!

Heres a great link for Navy series of Electronics Books (NEETs)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2012-08-30, 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link of free PDF files)
Back to top Go down
k5psh

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-08-27, 6:53 am

hello folks

i am jerry---k5psh----joined some time back, but failed to introduce myself--inertia is my enemy--

i began my interest in radios at about age six--that would have been 1950--i'm really not much of a technician, but i enjoy the forums and read to learn--i have been a ham since 1958--did 4 years in the army security agency as a morse intercept operator--
i enjoy building and listening to crystal radios--prior to about 2004 i had no idea what could be accomplished with so simple a device--it is the ultimate in the "low power" experience--it takes the burden off the other end and places it directly on the shoulders of the one who wants to do the most with the least--

regards

jerry----k5psh

k5psh

Back to top Go down
musicselectorfn1

PostSubject: new guy...   2012-08-18, 10:04 am

Hello there, folks!

I'm a complete noob (newbie) when it comes to electronics and radio, so sadly, i dont have much knowledge at all but hope to learn much and pass on the knowledge i acquire.

i'm from southern california and have recently started collecting old radios/record players.

Thanx!
-joe
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Welcome to more new members   2012-07-25, 10:59 pm

Good to see all of you newer members, please do join in our discussions, we consider no question or answer trivial. Just consider yourself at home here. Whether you are a newbie or an old timer, consider yourself on a level playing field for discussion's. If you have questions, that's very welcome here. You may have a question or comment that is original, and hasn't been explored or thought of yet. And to the more experience among us also have room to expand our experience, and skills in explaining, methods and techniques, and being taught a thing or two. Surprised

carlosedison

dorpmuller

morganboy

KJ4UMN

jaycea

Samd

tsbel

shaman

phasedout

acomarow

W8ZV

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-06-24, 10:45 pm

Glad your Here, Just jump in and don't be shy, seems like a lot of guys here are in your ballpark, so we don't run out of topics, so the more the better.
From Another old, gee! I forgot what we were discussing. Very Happy Too many schematics and not enough solder.

New Members Please introduce yourself.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next