New Members Please introduce yourself.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
McBarry

PostSubject: New member intro..   2011-07-19, 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks,
I'm David, I live in Canberra, Down Under, and confess a love of valve gear.
Specifically guitar amps, and have joined the site to further my slowly growing knowledge..
I'm also on a steep learning curve for valve testers - just gained a Jackson 637 and am trying to learn about it and am planning to service it B4 testing my growing collection of valves..
I don't know a whole lot about radio's per se, but pls don't hold that against me..LOL
I'll chime in probably infrequently, but have bookmarked the site and will call back regularly.
Cheers, David
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-06-24, 10:45 pm

Glad your Here, Just jump in and don't be shy, seems like a lot of guys here are in your ballpark, so we don't run out of topics, so the more the better.
From Another old, gee! I forgot what we were discussing. Very Happy Too many schematics and not enough solder.
Back to top Go down
phasedout

PostSubject: New User.   2012-06-24, 7:54 am

Hi Guys, i live at the moment in England, have quite a largish collection of vintage radios, approx 300, test gear, including a large collection of Avo,s, Signal gennies, Scopes inc Tek 535 and 545, numerous others, capacitor bridges, infact loads of radio related things, books going back to 1922, as you see quite a radiio nut, even a collection of boatanchors inc a AR88LF working, it looks like the sort of forum that has people like me, its nice to meet you all and hope to get to know you guys ps i am a 65 year old fart born May 19th 1947, interests well just look above, this says it all, username phasedout just like the old vintage radios i have, but vintage is the best ..kind......regards....Alan
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-06-09, 10:11 pm

A warm Hello and welcome to:

N4LNU
Charlie Bennetch

and also

W8ZV
Kim Herron

Our Ham Population is growing. cheers
73s

PostSubject: Hi All!!   2012-06-09, 10:43 am

W8ZV here. Name is Kim Herron, User ID is my amateur call. I'm an old fart. Got interested in old radios when I was 10 years old and that was 49 years ago. The first box I fixed and used was a GE E-129. My uncle had a radio repair shop in Saranac MI and he gave me my first set of test gear (most of which I still have), his NRI radio course (which I went through during the summer between 6th and 7th grade), and a GOB of parts, etc. Got my first ham call in 1970 (WN8FYX), and went through RETS electronics in Grand Rapids MI WHILE I was in high school. Went to work for an OEM electronics manufacturer in GR and ended up in the copier industry for 10 years working for Litton Industries. I don't work in the electronics field anymore, but I am in maintenance working for the USPS. Radios are a hobby, and all the ham gear glows in the dark. Two tone grey stuff (Collins).
My wife and I still live in West MI, in the woods. THe electrical noise is nonexistent, and nobody complains about the antennas. We go to one radio show a year in Lansing MI, the MARC extravaganza. I enjoy fixing the old stuff for other people and taking on stuff that nobody else can fix (within reason).

Thanks!!!
Kim

Back to top Go down
N4LNU

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-06-09, 8:36 am

N4LNU
Charlie Bennetch
I have a basement full of radio projects. I am 62 but I'd better live forever so that I can fix at least 1/2 of them. High on my list is a Swan Astro 102BX and a National NC 57. The NC 57 is s sentimental acquisition, in that one like it was my first SWL rig I had as a teenager.

I just got a Globe King 500D. A unique part of history, a rig that cost $5K and which never worked.I will be looking for a collector who wants a shameful bit of ham history and a rig that will never go on the air.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-06-01, 11:43 am

This topic was move Here to conslidate to one topic
"New" member
FrankB on Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 1:01

I've been on the forum for a while, but never posted a lot.

Native of Olympia WA

45 years as a TV/radio repair tech amongst other things.
I own my own business repairing TV's & radios, selling tubes & parts, and odds & ends.
Hoping to have a website up & going soon.

Member of ARF and the UK forums, and Tube Collectors of America.
Ham radio operator since the mid 70's; WB7ELC.

My S.O. & I own 2 dogs, 2 fish, and are staff for 3 Fur People.
The 2 outside cats love to come in and help me "sort tubes" in the storage. They literally pound on the door with their paws or get on the roof and stomp around on it until I let them in. The house cat has a penchent for finding any small part I drop and leaves it on the hallway floor where I can easily step on it -er- I mean find it.
(He has found several things I have lost and had no hope of finding again. Amazing actually. Usually he takes 1-2 weeks to find it and "leave it out" for me.)

I collect radios, tube boxes, tubes, electronics service literature, books of several types besides electronics & SF. Interests include Blacksmithing, fishing, shaggy dog stories, My interests are pretty much anything. I also make SF props, vampire teeth, etc. ( Won 1st place at a SF con for my Klingon costume I made fron scratch).

FrankB

------------------------------------------

Re: "New" member
Cliff Jones on Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 11:25

Great to have you on our forum Frank.
Since you mentioned TVs which I don't dabble into, too much circuitry for me widdle brain--LOL
I though as a trade or not, (By the way I posted you a PM about a loop-stick. I was just thinking, are you interested in old magazines about TV repairs?)
I Bought a number (approx. 35) of them a couple of weeks ago ( all RADIO-ELECTRONICS) and they have a musty smell to High Heaven, ACHHHH CHOO!!! Wow!
But they are all complete and well kept.
Maybe you would like them? Free of course or trade . It would take at least 2 shipping boxes
If not, I will post them for sale to cover postage here on our forum.

My sentence's are incomplete but you get the ramblings I hope?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: "New" member
FrankB on Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 21:34

Cliff,
If they are not issues I already have, I am interested.
If you are going to be at the Hamfair in Elma on Sat, I can try to dig it out from where ever I put it and bring it.

Look into my eyes.......
Repeat after me...........
You will be at the Hamfair on Saturday

FrankB

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-05-30, 11:07 pm

Welcome Randy and join in our discussions. With your experience you will be a real asset.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-05-29, 7:55 pm

Hello all, just found out about this site from ARF. Name is Randy. Username is my ham call. I am a broadcast engineer in southern West Virginia
taking care of four fm stations and two am stations. Been in broadcasting for almost 40 years now and dabbling with radios and electronics since I was 12. Started out working in a few radio and tv shops and ended up working in radio and tv broadcasting.
Finally got around to getting my ham license about four years ago. I have a collection of boatanchors, some that work and a lot that don't. Hard to find time to
work on them as I stay fairly busy with work but I do enjoy old radios and test equipment.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: More New Members registering   2012-05-08, 12:56 pm

Welcome to our Radio workbench, all of you are given applause for joining. May your stay and visits help you and your contributions help others. So join in and have fun!

monowarulhakim

Philshells

crobrd

porboys

K5WGY

carmech

deteugtho

We now have 128 registered users!

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-04-05, 12:58 am

This is great! Here are More Members that have Joined.
Welcome to each one.

dbilling

ecpilot

philledger

jstarr001

rkoonce

bekker

drdave

John Mitchell

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-02-29, 10:45 pm

Indeed, welcome, Mike.
Bill Cahill

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-02-18, 5:09 pm

More new members:

johnnycanuck

fluid

N2BEW

Mike DeMeo

AD1OS

Thank you for joining. I'm sure you will find Our Friends here will give and receive your questions, responses and answers with interest and enjoyment. Even challenging.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-02-03, 2:00 pm

Welcome! Mike,Glad your here.
I found one of the crystal radios I used to have as a boy, found it on EBay a Remco set.
I didn't realize how junky they were but at the time it was a real treasure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-02-02, 4:28 pm

GE all. My name is Mike and I have been in and out of radio for around 55 years. IT started with my father's National Radio Institute stuff way back, and he brought home stuff for me like Philmore and Remco crystal sets. I received my ham license in 1964, thru the efforts of two hams in the neighborhood, and thank them all to this day.
I retired from the fire service about two years ago, and have gotten more involved with building again. Last fall I came across boxes of "stuff" that my father and I had accumulated and decided to use some of it. Seems like it's just right for crystal sets and simple tube/transistor projects.
I am currently immersed in a crystal set that may never be finished.
Mike AD1OS
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-01-28, 9:52 pm

Heres a new group of Members:

rcamp48

stevebyan

CarlF

zenithite

dujob

Edd

aceandy

bakermister

Dietze4

Take your shoes off and make yourself at home here, Welcome door is open!

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-01-10, 11:25 am

Some more Members now on board Very Happy

Carl French

Cameraman

Perry Mundorff

kp19751609

copain
----------------
A Warm Welcome

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2012-01-03, 11:09 am

Well Cameraman just take a picture of our forum anytime. Click LOL

PostSubject: Another Source   2012-01-02, 4:54 pm

Just jumped over from Tube Radio Forum, Glad to have another Venue to Post In, thanks for the Invite!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-30, 7:46 pm

Hi copain! your age shouldn't frighten anyone here, except the younger whippersnappers! Suspect
Delighted to have you as a member. Just Pop-in any time your in our forum neighborhood.

PostSubject: Hello from central Michigan    2011-12-30, 3:15 pm

My user name is copain, which is French for pal or friend. I'm not of French background but I do love the French language. I'd state my age but it might frighten you; instead, I'll say that my background is schoolteacher and professional book editor. I pretty well taught myself fundamental electronics. In the 1970s-early 1980s I had my own radio-TV repair shop in New Hampshire. It didn't do well profitwise but I enjoyed the work. After reaching retirement age I went fulltime into antique radio collecting and restoring. I have a collection of about 50 radios, all of which I restored to fine working and appearance condition. My favorite makes are RCA, Silvertone, Airline, and Grunow. When I was growing up in Detroit, my parents had an RCA model 85T; my memory is excellent and I can remember when my father brought it home new, mainly so that we could listen to my uncle singing once a week on Detroit's WMBC, whose studios were located in a hotel on Woodward Avenue. In the early 1930s a radio political commentator was murdered in this hotel. I acquired an 85T several years ago from a collector in Southern Illinois; it needed a lot of restoration work but it is my favorite radio and I listen to it every day.

My current interest is in constructing home AM transmitters, and I have posted a message regarding this in another section of this forum.
Back to top Go down
Krystallo

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-29, 7:54 am

Thanks Cliff.

de N1NQC
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-28, 11:59 am

welcome aboard KRYSTALLO

Sounds like you have a lot of tales to tell. Enjoy our forum and don't be bashful. All experiences are welcome here.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-28, 8:25 am

Hey All,

I am Kevin ( "Krystallo"), ham callsign N1NQC.

I got started in radio when I was 8 years old ( just turned 51 on Dec 6). My brothers dug out my dad's old RCA tube AM/SW set which had laid for years under an old tarp in the basement.Using that radio my dad had tracked all the battles of WW II on a giant wall map w/ flag pins. His house a had large zig zag antenna on the attic rafters.Prior to buying the RCA with his paper route money , he built a crystal set for WBZ.Later he would get his masters in EE and work on many aspects of defense work,including the atomic weapons program.But it all started with radio.

We fired her up in the basement on a short bit of antenna wire and amazingly we heard a two way conversation from Scotland Yard in London and a German b'cast. I was hooked. OF COURSE I destroyed that radio by fiddling with it later on !

My first project was a LONGWAVE crystal radio ( WHY I have NO idea !). It didn't pick up anything. Then my dad bought me a Philmore Little Wonder slider crystal set.Despite HUGE signals at our Boston area home,it didn't work either.

Then I bought the Radio Shack 28-207 crystal set and FINALLY I had something that worked like a champ (actually ear splitting loud at times).I LOVED those 207's and couldn't get enough of them.I'd buy 2 or 3 at a whack just to have extra parts to play around with.I didn't know of any mail order houses in those days. I have some 207's off ebay stored away in the shop.

By the time I was 10 I had a Hallicrafters S-120a and an E-W and a N-S long wire. It worked GREAT, MUCH long dx ! I have a 120a now,but it's not the same one I had as a kid.

The rest , as they say, is history ! A huge number of crystal sets, home brew and factory, general coverage receivers ( Radio Shack Dx 150, Icom R-70, Icom R-71a, et al), CB's, AA5 tube sets and more recently a BUNCH of ham gear.

I am still an AVID crystal set builder and have a ton of 1920's and newer parts to play with.

I am interested everything from "DC to daylight"- VLF "Natural Radio" (sferics, whistlers, tweeks, dawn chorus,etc). I have some commercial gear and also some home brew stuff for VLF, most notably my "Lightning Bug" "receiver". Moving up in frq I like Afro/Euro LW b'cast and beacon dxing, AM b'cast DXing, SW( especially utility and tropical b'cast dxing), 10 M ham mobile/QRP operations, and V/UHF (formerly) all the way up to 1290 Mhz.Currently I the highest I work is on 900 Mhz, simplex and rptr.

I'm into propagation study,meteorology ( I worked for 10 yrs as a volunteer at the NWS Blue Hill Observatory Climate Research Station at Milton, MA), aviation ( I am a private pilot), misc Earth phenomena, "close in " astronomy(visible planets inward), gardening ( especially tomatoes) , etc, etc, etc

K
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-25, 10:46 am

P
Welcome jeswonderin!

I started out with a crystal radio for Christmas in 57-or so, found a radio chassis and plugged it in and it worked, of course with bare feet found out it could shock me on concrete floor, so I learned the first terms of electricity and insulation and shock, LOL.

Also had High school radio course and built 1 tube radio. When In high school, newest car radios were transistor hybrids and I used to get old tube radios from trash heap in the auto radio repair shop on the way home from school. Then college ,Industrial electricity, studied Naval Electronics correspondence courses as a Civil servant at same time, during Vietnam era. Stayed working for Navy, Ah Yes WRT2 I overhauled many of the Tuners and couplers too! Made a few mods too!  They sent me to college and learned digital, analog electronics ,solid state electronics and devices, computers, I started to be the first in my classes to hand in assignments with a Commodore 64 and epson 9 pin dot matrix printer, using Basic language programming to make printed assignments, and test's. 

Moved onto Computers Navy Test equipment Calibration Lab, Implemented a Hazmat and Hazmaterial storage and scrap metals for our Electronics Shop 67, and  till retirement, retired 6 years now.

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2015-10-01, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jeswonderin

PostSubject: hi, nice furniture, when do we eat?   2011-12-24, 9:15 pm

came over for a visit, from radioboard. like it here. may stay a while if the fleas aren't too bad.

started dreaming back in conn as a very young kid. some neighbor/ham/nut/? tossed a pile of chassis over the junk cliff, i found them and hauled the whole mess home to the dark, dank cellar under my folk's 1800's house. it grew and soon was thought of as the mad scientist's lab. i pulled everything apart i touched, got fingers smacked a lot, but learned to love the stuff.

meshna and fair radio sales big then with really cheap war surplus electronics. i bought whatever my soda bottle sales brought in, and promptly tore it apart... what a wealth of wonderous doo-dads littered every corner. stuff like that nowadays would put my kid thru college.

built xtal radio from cigar box plans in pop tronics ? had pile of wires around box, meshna microwave diode detector, usaf phone set, worked well. later bought typical catswhisker gizmo from back of funny book for 29 cents, made another radio, and kept on

once was a navy et guy, back in 60's. worked shipboard comm gear, got prez award for keeping wrt2 xmtr working with rubber bands during time red chinese were harassing us near turkey.

two things influenced my life: lady renting apt from mom was a document reproducer. she gave me a huge binder of gobbledegook that i pored over, but understood little. turned out to be some of the earliest engineering work on materials later to be called semi-conductors and ics. next shot was much later on. shipboard i was trying to order my etn2 course book, but they sent instead 'digital applications and mine-firing techniques'. i fell in love with boolean, digital, binary, octal and logics.

end result was a job at rca main frames. made them work after assembly. next went on to program the computers that tested ics, from wafer fab to final qa tests at itt (had original fairchild patents) and rca again, ala cosmac 1802. suggested to their engineers we might put all the other chips in one case with microprocessor... they laughed. what did i know. o well. can you say intel? amd?

been my own pc company past 30 years. set up business systems, trained them, then got stuck there for years at a time. current one past 18 years, and still teaching them. hope they like me.

now before you say 'wow', let me tell the small print. i'm extremely ocd. where others may have walked in my shoes and ended up remarkable successes, i saw the big picture, details and footnotes, then got bored and moved on before greatness arrived.

so today, after years of collecting, i need to retire and play with my toys. i have hundreds of future-unfinished projects to attend to. but i find much needed inspiration from y'all who have gone 'n dunnit. retirement will have to wait. enjoy my work too much to stop.
don't know if you can relate, so i'm left jeswonderin

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-15, 9:34 am

Dave Schmarder

xtaljo

peeblesoriginals

JOHN BOY

NT9K

KR1S-Jim

Don Haworth

SWsenior

radiomutt

Ham-er

tallboy

Krystallo
-------------
A Hearty Welcome to our Newest Members
I'll bet you all have stories to tell us about your experiences in the wonder world of Vintage Radios of every type.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-15, 9:18 am

welcome Ham-er
And Welcome SWsenior.

We have an open door for many topics about radios. Enjoy and post any Ideas and questions you have.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-15, 5:55 am

Just an old senior that recently got interested in crystal radio. While taking the wife yard sailing several months ago, I came across a fellow that had been into radio for years, he was selling off all his radio "stuff" as he had health problems. He had a bunch of things for sale, and gave me quite a good price if I was to take all of it. I looked at all the "stuff" and had no real idea how it was used. Anyway I bought it all, brought it home and am still sorting through it. I now have a very good idea about it all and with the help of a few guys over on Rap-n-Tap, I am now excited with all of this radio "stuff" and have even built a few radios on my own.

SWsenior

I should add that I am mostly interested in crystal radios.
Back to top Go down
Ham-er

PostSubject: new   2011-12-14, 6:16 pm

username:Ham-er
callsign :kb0lxy
Where I got my username? : Duh

Hobbies: radio ,radio, radio

Ive been interested in electronics in general, and specifically radio since high school.

I am now retired from the USAF, my carreer was as an electronic repair technician for their wideband communications(radio).

kb0lxy - eric

Last edited by Ham-er on 2011-12-14, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text coorection)
Back to top Go down
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-14, 1:55 pm

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the group! There can never be enough crystal radio guys around! Very Happy

Cheers for now, Bob
Back to top Go down
NT9K

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2011-12-14, 11:30 am

Hi, my name is Bill. Username is NT9K which is my ham radio call sign. I'm in Melbourne Florida and interested in building crystal radios and tube receivers. My hobbies are building telegraph keys, Elmering new CW operators, building all kinds of ham gear and designing web sites. Lately, I have become interested more in building crystal radios, but I have a lot to learn.

Good luck with the new forum. I hope to get to know lots of you and learn from you too!
73 Bill NT9K..
Back to top Go down

New Members Please introduce yourself.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next