ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

New Members Please introduce yourself.

Go down 
+32
bzadel
rulene
RandyT
ThomasB
jesse.law
kend
Hydrolastic
Rogm1017
Warren Follweiter
ronnie667
zandy1
Gar
jbwaddell17
Lonney
chas
binkeyhb
Rod Clay
POTS Don
Dan Walker
Cliff Jones
dspwku
pbpp
radiorich
19&41
wildcat445
reyesfa
MEZLAW
willy3486
FrankB
bluebuzzer123
SWsenior
ve1arn
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: New member intro..   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks,
I'm David, I live in Canberra, Down Under, and confess a love of valve gear.
Specifically guitar amps, and have joined the site to further my slowly growing knowledge..
I'm also on a steep learning curve for valve testers - just gained a Jackson 637 and am trying to learn about it and am planning to service it B4 testing my growing collection of valves..
I don't know a whole lot about radio's per se, but pls don't hold that against me..LOL
I'll chime in probably infrequently, but have bookmarked the site and will call back regularly.
Cheers, David
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2013, 8:10 am

There was an Employee in our Shop that came in and acquired a lot of Equipment for the Mars station and installed it in a 5th floor storage area, but I never got involved with the installation. It was separate from our Shops Ship to Shore installation. Our S to S Call was Aquit 6

As For the Mars station we had racks of new equipment, the only thing about it I remember was a lot of Collins radios. Our Shop was on the 4th and 5th floors of the old Machine Shop. It was corrugated Metal, painted BLACK and during the summers it was extremely Hot inside the building. This is just about the same time that Ships and Carriers were being refitted with Air conditioning. Some of the radio rooms on ships were unbearably Hot during summer.
I couldn't spend all my time in the station so we set up a remote Speaker with a push to talk hand set for operation from my work bench. Then scurry into the station to do relays and frequency checks, phone patches etc. Teletype messages and such. That's where I learned how to operate a radio station and all the ropes of proto call.

Most of the time we operated on sideband for traffic. Some local UHF. We had a sister station in Seal Beach that Also ran a Radar Station for tests, and I went there about once every two weeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2013, 6:32 pm

Cliff-
I'm down near Corvallis, probably 100 miles. If you needed help with woodworking I have a great friend in Scappoose who engineers very unusual wood things but I don't know anyone who could help.

Sounds like you might have been involved in the Mars Network during the war. I called back from SEA several times and`it was impressive but difficult to actually communicate. I was to learn later the problem was the wife. Never could figure her out.
TonyM
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2013, 3:04 pm

Heres a list of New Members that have joined us.

Username
dancingbear
ea327
douglasdc3
sbielman
sewardf
k1eg
KF4HNF
w4joy
Fhambanani
tuberadiogeek
maui1939
w0313440
Y2KEDDIE
john lanier
oldaudio
reyesfa
hary2g
9y4vf
dnpainting
td7456

You are the future of our forum so again welcome to all.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2013, 2:55 pm

Hi Tony!
What neighborhood are you in?

I have a very close friend who now lives in Scappose , Oregon. I gave Him an RCA Victor R35. He is breaking the radio down to refinish and wants to get it working. It did work when I first bought it about 5 years ago. But when we plugged it in, it no longer played. Not even a hum. He is supposed to bring the tubes up to me so we can test them. He isn't into electronics as far as radios go but is more into furnace controllers and electrical. May be you could give me the name of some local person that would act as a tutor on repairs or even help him troubleshoot it.
Welcome.

PS. I started my electronics education right out of High school in Long Beach Polytechnic , California in 1960-62. Ended up working at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard in 67 at the start of the Vietnam War.
URC-9-SRC 21, WRT-2 antennas and couplers, ran the Ship to shore Station for a while, phone patches, teletype, announcing and alarm systems, Sound powered circuits aboard ships, AHH the memories! Thats when I obtained my first Ham License (WA6ICO)

Last edited by Cliff Jones on March 25th 2013, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2013, 2:11 pm

Hi. My name is Tony and I live in Oregon. I belong to a few other sites centered around antique radios. I'm in my sixties and have a lot of experience with all types of repair and construction of electronic gear. I worked as a TV repair apprentice in HS and made it to tech...just in time for the Vietnam War.

After war and college I began working for Hewlett-Packard as a technician building high-end spectrum analyzers, mostly military gear. I transferred to Oregon and began working on hi-vacuum plasma deposition systems, ion implanters and other systems, most using cryogenics.

I have always had a shop and repaired whatever. Over the years I've worked for several places, mostly doing stereo/audio repair. My earliest experience was with tubes, later transistors and...I hate digital. I was doing mostly wood work until a chap approached me with the offer to supply radios/parts if I'd fix 'em. Sounded good.

I was a ham-novice (WN6VRA) back in the mid-sixties but when I went overseas for five years (Thailand-Spain) I didn't ever get back into it.

I'm pretty much the recluse-VietnamVet-curmudgeonly-antidigital geezer.

I look forward to being here.
Tony
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2013, 4:56 pm

Your comment makes me want to get the back off and check that out. Thanks for the input. Glad to be a member.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2013, 4:39 pm

Glad to have you as a member! I also have the same model. I had to replace the on-off switch with a toggle switch on the side.

PostSubject: New Sign in.    New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2013, 3:27 pm

Greetings,

Never expected to be doing this but a short time ago in my continuing effort to clean house I decided to get out my Grundig Model 960 and decide whether to junk it or get it fixed. Several years ago when I turned it on it would operate for a few minutes and over time the operation time when down to zero. I hear a static click when I turn it on and that is it. When it operated it sounded good and it looks nice when displayed. So that is where I am. I searched the Web and came up with this site. Radio was made in 1999 according to the sticker on the back. Will remove the back one of these days but maybe someone can suggest the problem.

Sewardf = the name Seward Ford and I live in Windsor CT. Semiretired at 73. I have been a ham radio operator since the mid 60s. Not currently active since I live in condo. Do operate 2 meters from my boat on the Erie Canal in upstate NY. I am a Michigan State graduate in electrical engineering. My business career has been associated with visual aids for pilots (lighting fixtures, runway and taxiway including power distribution and control) and I now do some consulting and teach at airports the The Fundamentals of Airport Lighting Systems. We are in the process of transitioning from incandescent to LED light sources.

Ok, that is enough about me. Will follow the group and get into the right forum.

73s Seward
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2013, 12:55 am

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you with us.
Bill Cahill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 9:12 pm

Hi,
My name is maui1939. you guessed it, I am 73 years old, and was born in 1939, in the land of aloha, the island
of Oahu, and after retiring from the military, I moved to Maui Hawaii. My interests are varied, As I build Harley Motorcycles, build Robot's, Rebuild Antique Electronic equiptment, build my own test equiptment, and the list goes on. my hobbies are just a varied, teach the Ukalele, guitar, and repair same, Luthier. Presently living in Henderson Nevada, where we bought a home. Love old technology. I may add more to this later. Thank you for
accepting me on this forum, and will try not to be a bore, and the key word here is try.
Mahalo,and aloha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 11:29 am

Welcome Mike. Glad to have you with us.
Bill Cahill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: about me   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 10:58 am

Name: Mike Durff
User Name: oldaudio
Where did you get your username? repaired audio equipment for 40 + years
Birthday: Haloween
Interests: AF & RF
Hobbies: Ham radio
Please feel free to reply with additional information.
Was introduced to commercial AM by an old army buddy of my fathers' in the mid 1950's. He was an engineer at an AM broadcast station. In 1960 a neighbor moved and gave me his old RCA console. It had shortwave bands on it...been hooked ever since. Was licensed as 3rd class in 1963 and worked at an AM station in the summers as an intern. Attended a technical HS and majored in Radio & TV repair. Licensed as a ham in 1967 WA4ZYL (ex). Worked for Bell telephone straight out of High School. Got my 1st class phone ticket around that time. Retired from the CN/I.C.R.R. comm dept in 2003.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 2:23 pm

Welcome to the forums........
Bill Cahill
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 12:42 pm

Glad to see you join. My first Radio project while in High School was an after hours club on campus. It was a one tube job. Got it to work too.

Also Welcome to Exprof, Anything that both of you bring to our forum will be an asset. Very Happy

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Happy new member here!   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 7:31 am

Hello,

Quick into:

When I was 15 my dad gave me a broken Crosley 124 cathedral to play with. Shocked
I was able to fix it!! I'm 49 yrs old now.
I've been hooked on antique radios since then.
In my collection I have over 100 different models: clocks, end tables, radiobar, etc...
I even became a CET, been in consumer & industrial electronics ever since.

I look forward to browsing your forum

thank you,
Jose

PS
I still have the Crosley 124 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FrankB
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2013, 1:40 pm

Welcome Mike.
Glad you found us.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2013, 7:44 pm

welcome, there is a lot to learning, But it can be fun and challenging till you catch on.

PostSubject: Hello from a New Member   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2013, 6:34 pm

Hi, new to this hobby. Mostly absorbing information, although sometimes slowly. I am retired, and live in East Tennessee.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: We have 262 registered users   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2013, 8:23 am

Our users have posted a total of 1,870 messages

I see We are getting more members which will help, So welcome to our newest members!
Please post anything about your experiences abut coming into the world of antique radios or electronics training.
or what you need to know about reading and training helps. We are glad to be of Help on Radios! and other related topics Very Happy

Last edited by Cliff Jones on July 30th 2014, 8:25 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : update number)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2012, 7:55 pm

Hey, c'mmon, guys. Don't let Christmas stop you............
Merry Christmas, everybody!
God bless you all....
Bill Cahill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2012, 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forums. You sound like you have an interesting life.
Bill Cahill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Thank you for your invitation   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2012, 11:16 am

Greetings all,

My name is Richard and my username is Exprof. I was born in Memphis, Tennessee, and have lived in Iowa City, Iowa since 1991. I hold a Ph.D. in German from the University of Iowa, and in a previous life I held an assistant professorship in German at Knox College in Galesburg, IL--hence my username. I now teach at the Iowa City campus of Kirkwood Community College. I'm a tournament level chess player; I have played chess since age 12, and I’m a member of the U.S. Chess Federation and the Iowa State Chess Association. In addition to chess and antique radios, and I’m also interested in old movies (mostly film noir), bicycling, baseball, and vintage cars. One of these days, I'll tear myself away from old radios and finish the 1966 VW Beetle sitting in my garage.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeNovember 27th 2012, 11:29 pm

Welcome to the forums.
Bill Cahill
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2012, 3:46 pm

Good to see you MEZLAW and will provide a link to your web page Here:
Click Here to Go to Myphonetechs

Technician
Technician
MEZLAW

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2012, 9:10 pm

I'm a new member, but an old guy. LOL I'll cut and paste my into from another forum.

Hello......My name is Larry.

I'm a telephone man and the owner of LSCG Inc. I studied at the Connecticut School of Electronics in New Haven and ended up working for Southern New England Telephone Co. for nineteen years as a PBX design Engineer and spent a little time at Bell Labs. I love Virginia so much that I gave all that up and move to the Shenandoah Valley. I then worked for Comdial Corp. for ten years as a Field Engineer and Product Manager. Then I decided it was time to go into business for myself and have been an authorized Samsung dealer for the last eleven years. Now at 62 years young I've decided to semi retire and get back to what I did at fourteen years of age....FIX Radios!!!!

For full disclosure, I am also an administrator at a telephone forum call myphonetechs.com

When I'm not working in electronics you can find me restoring old Fords.

I sure hope I can help and pull my weight!!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2012, 3:08 pm

Glad to see you did finally get registered.

Welcome and I'm kinda in the same boat. Except my dad is 93 and were selling His House, what a legal Nightmare, He divided everything down the middle including paying utilities with His second wife, and each had a trust that has to be dealt with just to sell the house, and 3 lawyers later we may finally get His house sold.

I am also rearranging my Radio room and decided to thin the Herd of radios, a lot are cheap retro radios, a couple of cheap plastic boom boxes, A Pioneer surround Stereo shelf system (it was given to me and I never even plugged it in) Bought another bookshelf, and doing a lot of re-arranging. I had so many empty cardboard boxes (I had grand Ideas for shipping out repaired radios) that I got rid of most all and can actually turn around in the room without bumping into something. LOL Well almost bounce

Beginning Member

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeOctober 30th 2012, 1:51 pm

This is willy3486. I have been on a few other sites and you may be familiar with me. If not here is some info. I got onto electronics as a kid in the 70s and worked in a shop the first time back then at about 14 years old. I repaired what I could. When going to electronics school I got into tube radios as they were cheap and many were free. I never really got out of them but I did cut back to where I didn't do them a while. Now I am getting back into them. I have been moving items and getting my mother in law ready to move. She is 80+ years old so I am moving all the stuff on the farm they had. After three years I am almost done, both physically and with the move. I plan on getting back into some kind of side repair business to support this hobby. I have also reworked my repair shop to be more like a shop from the 50s.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2012, 9:45 am

Harold! old fellers are the backbone of forums here, glad to have you on board. Thats just about the same time I was first getting into radio. But I didn't get my first license till 1968-69.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2012, 7:51 pm

I am an old feller that is fairly new to computers and all these great forums I am finding. What great tools! I have been a ham since 1956. Cut my teeth connecting a Central Electronics to a BC-610 and mod. the 610 into a linear for SSB. Fun stuff for a 21 yr old.
Have some boatanchors. Like to repair old tube equip. Trying to get my R-390A going right now.

Harold
k4mfn
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 11:25 pm

Great Picture!

FrankB

PostSubject: Old member, new Avatar   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 10:59 pm

I finally got around to loading up my Avatar tonight.
Yes, that IS really me.
Took 1st place at a Star Trek Con with that costume & makeup cheers

So for those of you who thought I was probably from a different planet, here is proof.
73'
FrankB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Members Please introduce yourself.
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next