ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB
Welcome, please log-in to participate in this (your) forum, by logging in you agree to abide by the rules of this forum. Until you make your FIRST Login and post, you cannot PM a Member.
ANTIQUE-RADIO-LAB

Antique Radio Forum for Collectors antique-radio-lab.forumotion.com

HomeRegisterLog inSearchPublications
Posting Questions, Please supply ALL the details you have.
In order for Us to answer if We can!: You will need to provide Details,
such as 1-Brand Name of the Radio 2-chassis number 3-Model number 4-symptoms.5 Photo's

New Members Please introduce yourself.

Go down 
+32
bzadel
rulene
RandyT
ThomasB
jesse.law
kend
Hydrolastic
Rogm1017
Warren Follweiter
ronnie667
zandy1
Gar
jbwaddell17
Lonney
chas
binkeyhb
Rod Clay
POTS Don
Dan Walker
Cliff Jones
dspwku
pbpp
radiorich
19&41
wildcat445
reyesfa
MEZLAW
willy3486
FrankB
bluebuzzer123
SWsenior
ve1arn
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: New member intro..   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks,
I'm David, I live in Canberra, Down Under, and confess a love of valve gear.
Specifically guitar amps, and have joined the site to further my slowly growing knowledge..
I'm also on a steep learning curve for valve testers - just gained a Jackson 637 and am trying to learn about it and am planning to service it B4 testing my growing collection of valves..
I don't know a whole lot about radio's per se, but pls don't hold that against me..LOL
I'll chime in probably infrequently, but have bookmarked the site and will call back regularly.
Cheers, David
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Curious about my old tube radio!   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeApril 17th 2017, 8:18 am

My name is Elizabeth and this radio was my grandpa's who has long since past. I loved this radio and remember singing , concert style to my grandparents always after dinner. I'm hoping someone can tell me more about it. The tubes are still there and I don't believe they work. It needs a good cleaning. The sticker inside says Westinghouse model 785 AC Radio Receiver. The schematics are shown on the sticker also. The tube unit itself says made in canada. So I'm wondering if the shell and unit are the same year. The unit has model 785 stamped on it too so I'm not really sure. There is a separate safety metal stamp that says 1976 on it as well.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2017, 1:36 pm

Nice that you could register. Welcome Patrick!

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2017, 6:29 am

Hello, my name is Patrick, and I've been retired for 2-years and now live in West Virginia.  Last spring I was cleaning out my basement and ran across a GE table top radio that I inherited from my grandfather in 1968.  I boxed it up in 1977 after a failed attempt to restore it due to missing parts.  It's been in the storage box ever since.  When I discovered it, I asked my wife what we should we do with it.  She had a great suggestion that with the internet today, I might be able to find the parts and finish the restoration.  Sure enough she was correct.  Not only did I restore that 1941 beautiful table top, it inspired me to restore a 1933 RCA console that had been dormant in our living room since I bought it at an auction in 1977.  Now I can't take all the credit as I found a wonderful coach/mentor in the radio restoration business who was a big help.  Since this keeps my interest and justifies all the tools I've purchased over the years, I now have six broken tube radios "in-waiting".  What brought me to this site was my purchase of a Jackson Tube Tester Model 49.  I was looking for some information and this forum popped up.  Right now I'm working on a Crosley radio/phono, but when finished I hope to begin work on the Jackson Tube Tester.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2016, 3:19 pm

Happy to have you on board Chuk.
When you post your picture,  look for the topic most appropriate and post it there, with a description of the plans for, or work you have done to it.

Beginning Member

PostSubject: New member, Raleigh, NC   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2016, 1:30 pm

Name is Chuk Gleason, and (obviously) call is kb4mdz.  

Joined in large part because I've just collected a radio and 2 field phones from a neighbor who is moving away.  Radio has no tubes in it, but what sockets are in there are 4 pin.  No name on the wooden cabinet, just the dials. 2 vernier dials, one control which moves a coil thru a range of motion inside another, from parallel to the outer coil form, to 90 degrees from the outer coil, for coupling.  I've forgotten most of what I read about old radio designs; might this be a goniometer?   Question 

connections on the back for various batteries, and aerial.  

Already guesstimating, pre-WWII.

When I get a picture of the front I'll upload it.  

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2016, 6:27 pm

Dan, Good to see you tell us about yourself.

Senior Member 75+ Posts
Senior Member 75+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2016, 10:17 am

hello everyone.
 My name is Dan Walker, and I am 71 years old. I live in Calgary Alberta, and I have been collecting antique radio for about 10 years. I have no formal training in electronics, but through the years I have learned  a lot about restoring them.
  I like the Canadian radios such as  Rogers,  and Marconi.
 I have two rogers 10-12 radios and three Marconi floor models plus a lot of others.
I especially like restoring the cabinets, but it sure is nice when I restore the electronics and they end up working good.
 I am always looking for Rogers parts. I hope I can learn  more from this forum and I know I can contribute , especially in the area of cabinet restoration.
  I just have to figure out how to post photos on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2016, 5:02 pm

Hello Max and Kriss. Please participate by posting questions and answers and your discoveries.
By doing that we will get more visitors, and then you will get a more diverse advice, knowledge and friendships.

Delighted to have you join.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2016, 12:51 pm

Hello!!  I am Kriss. I'm 59 and just retired from a 35 year teaching career as a HS/JHS science teacher and coach.  I am learning a new hobby in restoring vintage radios.  I have basic knowledge of electricity. I have done all the electrical wiring/conduits/panels/subpanels etc. in the 3 home additions that I've done here at my place in rural El Dorado County in California. What I lack is experience with circuits in electronic devices like the tube radios I am beginning to collect. I am hoping to pick the brains of the Masters here at Antique-Radio-Lab.  Thanks in advance for your patience in answering what I am sure will be a myriad of basic questions about electronics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2016, 6:36 pm

Max Hendrickson
Ham since 1956

KØDPT
BSEE 1969 RF Engr.
semi retired 73
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2016, 9:49 pm

We are happy that you have joined our forum Don, browse around for subjects that interest you. If you feel you could address any of the forum threads with questions or added information, please do participate. Welcome.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2016, 9:39 pm

I have been a licensed amateur radio operator since 1957.  My interest in electronics led to my career in information systems and now as a professor at a university.  Thanks for providing this site for connecting others with similar interests in the hobby of radio restoration and all the other facets of electronics.  73
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2016, 6:54 pm

Welcome ton10291! (Tony)
You are more than welcome to post your experiences with your repairs. Whatever topic forum that's appropriate!

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2016, 2:27 pm

My name is Tony and I'm in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I've been a vintage radio program listener and vintage radio collector for over 40 years. My main interests are collecting and restoring higher tube count home radios, communications receivers and vintage audio equipment. I recently finished rebuilding a Hammarlund SP100 Super Pro and my current project is a Scott AM-FM Phantom.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2016, 11:19 am

Nice to have you onboard! I worked for the Navy with 32 years in the Electroncs Communications side of Shop 67. From 1967 during Vietnam till 1973, then did a stint at Tektronix. Got married in 1977, went to work at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard till my retirement in early 2004. 32 years of civil service.
I too am a Ham, but not too active now. I have my own room full of test equipment, mostly military, a few consoles, tabletop, and some transistor portables. Right now I am trying to calibrate a TV-7/U (first of the series) but always somethings coming up to delay.
So any way, if you have projects please post, or even snapshots. If you do YouTube videos, there also needed here. Jump right in. Advice and experiences are all ways welcome.

PostSubject: Hello All   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2016, 2:01 am

Hello,
I am happy to be a new Member!
I am Bob a Retired US Marine and Electronic Technician with 45 Plus years of Experience and still learning I am from the US now Retired in the Philippines.

I am also a Licensed Ham Radio Operator in the Philippines.
I think this site is fantastic and look forward to Helping anyone I can and maybe learning some new things. 73

Bob
United States Marine Corps Retired
Semper Fi
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Good to have you join   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2016, 10:46 am

We can always use more knowledgeable and experienced radio collectors. Welcome cheers  to our enclave of likeminded enthusiastic members. Don't hesitate to start posting. We have many subjects, and you can get involved by, making comments, asking questions, and please add your location to your profile, who knows you might have some of our members within your locale.

PostSubject: New Member   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2016, 5:16 am

Been repairing radios for over 60 years.  An old graduate of National Radio Institute having worked for RCA, Magnavox and Panasonic as a field tech.  Now in my retirement years I have found much enjoyment in restoring old radios and guitar amplifiers. Laughing 

Tubenut
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2016, 9:50 am

stevie "beatz" adorno: composer/producer. BRONX NY. newbee at tube radio restoration. need help with capacitor replacement on my HALLICRAFTERS S-120.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMay 17th 2016, 4:14 pm

Glad to have you new members on board our forum.
As you provide your knowledge, and questIons, you are contributing to the whole realm of radios.
That will help expand our forum, and add to our knowledge base.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMay 17th 2016, 12:34 pm

devildog63 wrote:
Richard here , from carrollton Ga
New member wanting to learn more about pre 1960 radios.
I'm 51 years old , have a background in electronics from the Marine Corps as an Avionics tech.
I have been interested in  radios since my father fot me a crystal set back in 1969
My user name is from the Marines "DEVILDOG"
I look forward to getting to know everyone.
kent1003

Greetings from a new member. Retired from university administration. Enjoy restoring antique radios.
Can't have too many friends in the hobby. It's always good to be connected to the brain trust. You guys have probably seen it all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: hello   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMay 4th 2016, 4:28 pm

Richard here , from carrollton Ga
New member wanting to learn more about pre 1960 radios.
I'm 51 years old , have a background in electronics from the Marine Corps as an Avionics tech.
I have been interested in radios since my father fot me a crystal set back in 1969
My user name is from the Marines "DEVILDOG"
I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2016, 8:22 am

Hi All,

Im Tony Corbo residing in Rockford, IL

I collect vintage items typically pre-1960 and love finding cool older items.

I recently became interested in Radios and have acquired a few Bakelite 1950s dewalds and just love their sound.

Anyway I look forward to learning about old radios and possibly even repairing them as I do have an electronics background.

Thanks,
Tony
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2016, 3:23 pm

Hi, new member here.
My name is Dan
I live just up the road from Nashville TN
Just recently turned 61 (yikes!)
My main electronic interest is tube guitar amps, though I'm still just a novice at building/repairing them.
My purpose in joining here is to get advice on my mother in law's RCA radio.
I'll post in another section of the forum for that.

Thanks, Dan
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2016, 9:58 am

Welcome to the following New Members:

Dida.         20 Mar 2016
melsaler 11 Mar 2016
jaymanaa 08 Mar 2016
DK3HE 08 Mar 2016
Shimshon 04 Mar 2016

Glad to have you register and become part of our team of radio enthusiasts.cheers

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2016, 6:54 am

Hello to all forum members! Very Happy 
I live in Croatia, 75 years old. My hobby is ship modeling and photography, but I used to be a radio-amateur. I have an old radio receiver bought in early 50ties, last century. The radio is now functional, after I replaced vacuum tubes and electrolitic capacitors. The reproduction of sound is pretty bad, can't eliminate "broom" (half wave rectifier and, probably, bad capacitors). Must do something about this.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2016, 6:09 pm

Jaymanaa, That's a serious type of sickness, just send all the radio tubes to us forum members, that should relieve your sickness, somewhat!
lol!
Sounds like your off on the right foot, by joining our Forum, cheers.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2016, 4:51 pm

Hello, Jay from a Kansas City suburb here. I am into anything regarding vacuum tubes. I'm retiring from 37 years as a pipefitter this Friday so I will have a lot more time to dedicate to this madness. I'm mostly into older HiFi, and building custom tube amps, but I play with tube TVs, table radios, etc. If it has tubes in it, I'm interested in it. My dad was a TV tech back in the day, and I carried his caddy and searched for tube numbers as soon as I was able to go with him. My last estimate of my tube collection is around 40K, so I have the sickness pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2016, 9:28 am

Thank you for Joining Eberhard!

There are some great web sights that provide PDF files on older radios and thier repair.
We have several links listed on OUR Forum.

Just take your time and browse through our forums here. We cover many topics.

Please visit us often and if you feel at ease just contribute your knowledge and expertise (That is always Welcome).

On your problem with antennas, refer to our Ham Radio (Amateur) forum and post your questions there.

PostSubject: Introdction DK3HE   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2016, 8:20 am

Hi Friends,
would like to introduce myself as a new member to this forum.
I am a german ham radio operator (DK3HE). Got my licence back in 1968.
Recently I have retired from work.
My love is with Hallicrafters. Have got an SR2000 and SR400, both with 
power supply. And the 2nd VFO HA-20.
Unfortunately not allowed to put up an antenna. I live an appartment house.
Despite I hold the highest german engineering degree, but my experience with
RF repair is rather limited.
I hope ti get assistance here?!
vy 73
Eberhard, DK3HE
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Cliff Jones

PostSubject: New Members   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFebruary 29th 2016, 11:12 am

ttevault -     Feb/29/16

timk9vb  -   Feb/26/16

earlyradio - Feb/23/16

Glad to have these recent joining Members. cheers

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   New Members Please introduce yourself. - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Members Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next