New Members Please introduce yourself.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
McBarry

PostSubject: New member intro..   2011-07-19, 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks,
I'm David, I live in Canberra, Down Under, and confess a love of valve gear.
Specifically guitar amps, and have joined the site to further my slowly growing knowledge..
I'm also on a steep learning curve for valve testers - just gained a Jackson 637 and am trying to learn about it and am planning to service it B4 testing my growing collection of valves..
I don't know a whole lot about radio's per se, but pls don't hold that against me..LOL
I'll chime in probably infrequently, but have bookmarked the site and will call back regularly.
Cheers, David
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-10-04, 9:02 pm

I would suspect the switches first thing, I have noticed the same thing using my scope, but haven't delved into it yet. Most were used by schools so wear and tear maybe the culprit. Try using some Cramolin on the switches. And also the connectors. If they were worked on by students then solder connections and broken or intermittents would be suspicious.

Welcome to our Forum. I do have some of the manuals that I bought from ECI, yes they are still in business and will sell them to you if needed. I haven't looked at mine in quite some time, AH well another project for my list.

Let us know what you decide to do by posting it in our test equipment section.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: New to board   2013-10-04, 6:45 pm

Hello there,

Name: Doug
User Name: Electech
Where did you get your username? Occupation - CNC Repair Tech
Birthday: Couple few ago?
Interests: Electronics projects and repairs of all kinds
Hobbies: Model engine Builder, Micro-controllers, Jeeps, Motorcycles and general tinkering.

Current interest is to repair an old cheap AM radio for the experience and Dear old Dad. I did prove the audio section is functional, so onto the RF. In that attempt, I went to try using my ECI 40500 RF generator, and it does not put out RF. The Signal Generator half still works, but the RF nada or very weak on the scope. In my search for schematics and info on it led me here. In order to fix the radio, now I need to fix the RF Generator.Razz Embarassed I read Cliff may have some experience with these RFG's?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: New member, Refugee of ARF   2013-09-18, 2:18 pm

Hello to everyone, I just joined or rejoined this forum, I'm a refugee from ARF, (partial comment removed ).
My name is Ron my amateur call is W4RON.
If you're interested you can visit my antique radio collection here, you can search for Ron's Radio Heaven since
I can't post an active link since I'm a newbe...

73, Ron w4ron

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2014-08-16, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Comments edited by admin.)
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-08-15, 7:49 pm

If your asking me I decided on a Samsung printer. Sorry if I didn't mention it. I have set it up for wireless and its slow responding but once it starts printing its 20 pages per minute.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-08-15, 4:10 pm

OOPS: Sitn here, did you receive the info on the toner for your Brother printer?
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-08-15, 11:52 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
New member here, Sam, also from the Puget Sound area. Wondering what people thought about the PSARA swap meet a few weeks ago. I was a bit disappointed compared to years past but liked the weather and location.

Nice site, Cliff; I'll be spending more time here!

Sam
Sam they have monthly meetings that have a small turnout, But I have never seen a small one in the big august event. That will be this coming Sunday Aug 18 9am-1pm at shoreline community college, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: toner   2013-08-13, 8:23 pm

Did you get the info on the toner for your printer?

sitn8) 
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-08-13, 11:47 am

Welcome!
Good to hear about your life experiences. Jump in at any time, the waters fine as it were.

PostSubject: New Member   2013-08-12, 3:23 am

Greetings,

I came into this world on February 9, 1943 (age 70), with the name of Michael Sitton (Mike), nick name of Fuzzy since I sport a rather fuzzy beard. Have been for about 35 years! OK, my user name is sitn, a contraction of my sir name. I presently reside in the beautiful state of Magnolia trees, pine, and others of note, which happens to be Mississippi. A few miles from the great metropolitan area of Osyka. (only a few hundred, if that many) folks, on the state line of Louisiana. The nearest town of any size is Progress, which consist of a couple of houses, library (my wife is the librarian), and a fire volunteer station. I live in a relatively new house of 13 years old across the lane of my grandparents home which is over 100 years of age. I have another place of about 50 acres 10 miles away outside of Tylertown, Mississippi. I am retired but have a small machine shop on that property.

As I said, I am retired, or retarded as some put it, from the broadcast tube rebuilding industry. I had worked in all aspects of the company including running the in plant machine shop. I built and maintained most of the equipment that was used in the plant. My uncle W. T. (Bill) Freeland started the business in 1940, and built tubes for one of the major broadcasting company's during world war II for our government.

My interest in radio stems back into the 1950's as a snotty nosed kid, in Cisco, Texas. Have worked in a TV shop there as well as in the printing industry, of which my father and his brother owned for several years. As of late, I have been taking the radio collecting and restoration hobby more seriously. Of course, there are a lot of aspects to this that I am finding more challenging than I had ever thought of. There are the ones who like to leave there old radios looking as they find them and those who like to spend untold amounts of money on them. I kind of like the in-between part. Make them look decent and work well. I am not a purist when it comes to making something look better than new. All my life has been devoted to get the thing working so the job at hand can go on, and there will be no idle folks standing around. One of my other hobbies for years has been firearms. I am no expert there either. The latest hobby I can boast of, is my unfinished 1930 Ford Model A five window coupe. Need to finish the interior and rumble seat for it to be entered into the local parades and so on.

I guess you have been bored enough now, so I will refrain from any more banter and get down to business of old radio's of antiquity.

sitn
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-08-01, 12:27 pm

Welcome Dave, I am glad to see another radio aficionado on board!

PostSubject: Nice place to be!   2013-08-01, 12:23 pm

Hi all, I'm a new member, and so I thought I'd share something. I'm an amateur radio operator, not too active with the sun spot cycle the way it's been lately...Been playing around with radio since the age of 10, and my first was an old Bendix table top AA5 with clock/timer and outlet. Learned really fast about inductive rf coupling when I convinced a friend to shinny up a 110 foot tall white pine and hang my very first long wire antenna...think I must have been about 11 then. That was 44 years ago! Anyway, with a bit of wire and a loop, and placing it near the ole Bendix loop on the rear, RADIO CAME TO LIFE! I began logging stations with thumbtacks on a map of the USA..then I was getting Bonair at 800 on the dial...and wondered just how far away I could recieve AM stations! My Uncle Dwight, WB8WAJ (SK) pushed me into Ham Radio, and by the time I was 16, finally had my Novice license. After building some Heathkits, and experimenting with more antennas, I decided that electronics would be my career, which it has been, for 30 plus years. I have a love for German table sets, from the late 50's and also some old odd balls, like the Teledials, and the wonderful RCA 816K! The "Magic Brain" motorized tuning systems of the day were quite amazing.
I still love tinkering with electronics, some programming, and other odds and ends. Dipped into some FM Dxing too. Loads of fun!
Like I said about this site, "Nice place to be!"

73's
Dave NS8S
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-05-16, 10:40 am

Welcome to the following New Members:

CommConn

jerry pilet

ackaelly

laskhr

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-05-05, 10:16 am

Welcome, Steve, look in our parts forum for information on that device. Glad to hear of your willingness to help others.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: New member   2013-05-04, 9:06 am

Hi, I am interested in vintage radios from the 40's to the early 60's. I have restored several sets in the past few months that I have enjoyed this hobby. I'm 69 years old and work in the Slot Machine industry in Deadwood, SD. I have a 10 year old daughter who is keeping me healthy and young. I find that there is always something new to learn. I collect vintage cameras and started this radio hobby when a co-worker asked me to fix a GE model 125 for her mom. Then another lady brought in a classic Coca Cola cooler radio, (Majestic), for me to get working. Then I was off to the races looking on etsy, ebay and yard sales for new stuff to solder on. The only parts problems I have run into are IF transformers and the little flat R/C networks with the 3 to 10 leads that are often broken. If I knew what was inside I could make a sub with "REAL" parts. I'll be looking on this forum for answers to my many questions that these classic instruments bring up.
Thanks, Stevehyman
Back to top Go down
radio451

PostSubject: New Member   2013-04-18, 4:55 am

Hi Everyone,

I am from New Kensington which is near Pittsburgh PA. I have been interested in radio all my life. I used to tinker with tube radios when I was a kid in the 60's. Now that I am older I am getting back into collecting and repairing old radios. My collector interest in Westinghouse radios and radios with the Conelrad (CD) markings both tube and transistor. Just setting up my workbench now. I look forward to participating in the forum. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-03-26, 8:10 am

There was an Employee in our Shop that came in and acquired a lot of Equipment for the Mars station and installed it in a 5th floor storage area, but I never got involved with the installation. It was separate from our Shops Ship to Shore installation. Our S to S Call was Aquit 6

As For the Mars station we had racks of new equipment, the only thing about it I remember was a lot of Collins radios. Our Shop was on the 4th and 5th floors of the old Machine Shop. It was corrugated Metal, painted BLACK and during the summers it was extremely Hot inside the building. This is just about the same time that Ships and Carriers were being refitted with Air conditioning. Some of the radio rooms on ships were unbearably Hot during summer.
I couldn't spend all my time in the station so we set up a remote Speaker with a push to talk hand set for operation from my work bench. Then scurry into the station to do relays and frequency checks, phone patches etc. Teletype messages and such. That's where I learned how to operate a radio station and all the ropes of proto call.

Most of the time we operated on sideband for traffic. Some local UHF. We had a sister station in Seal Beach that Also ran a Radar Station for tests, and I went there about once every two weeks.

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-03-25, 6:32 pm

Cliff-
I'm down near Corvallis, probably 100 miles. If you needed help with woodworking I have a great friend in Scappoose who engineers very unusual wood things but I don't know anyone who could help.

Sounds like you might have been involved in the Mars Network during the war. I called back from SEA several times and`it was impressive but difficult to actually communicate. I was to learn later the problem was the wife. Never could figure her out.
TonyM
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-03-25, 3:04 pm

Heres a list of New Members that have joined us.

Username
dancingbear
ea327
douglasdc3
sbielman
sewardf
k1eg
KF4HNF
w4joy
Fhambanani
tuberadiogeek
maui1939
w0313440
Y2KEDDIE
john lanier
oldaudio
reyesfa
hary2g
9y4vf
dnpainting
td7456

You are the future of our forum so again welcome to all.

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-03-25, 2:55 pm

Hi Tony!
What neighborhood are you in?

I have a very close friend who now lives in Scappose , Oregon. I gave Him an RCA Victor R35. He is breaking the radio down to refinish and wants to get it working. It did work when I first bought it about 5 years ago. But when we plugged it in, it no longer played. Not even a hum. He is supposed to bring the tubes up to me so we can test them. He isn't into electronics as far as radios go but is more into furnace controllers and electrical. May be you could give me the name of some local person that would act as a tutor on repairs or even help him troubleshoot it.
Welcome.

PS. I started my electronics education right out of High school in Long Beach Polytechnic , California in 1960-62. Ended up working at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard in 67 at the start of the Vietnam War.
URC-9-SRC 21, WRT-2 antennas and couplers, ran the Ship to shore Station for a while, phone patches, teletype, announcing and alarm systems, Sound powered circuits aboard ships, AHH the memories! Thats when I obtained my first Ham License (WA6ICO)

Last edited by Cliff Jones on 2013-03-25, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dancingbear

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-03-25, 2:11 pm

Hi. My name is Tony and I live in Oregon. I belong to a few other sites centered around antique radios. I'm in my sixties and have a lot of experience with all types of repair and construction of electronic gear. I worked as a TV repair apprentice in HS and made it to tech...just in time for the Vietnam War.

After war and college I began working for Hewlett-Packard as a technician building high-end spectrum analyzers, mostly military gear. I transferred to Oregon and began working on hi-vacuum plasma deposition systems, ion implanters and other systems, most using cryogenics.

I have always had a shop and repaired whatever. Over the years I've worked for several places, mostly doing stereo/audio repair. My earliest experience was with tubes, later transistors and...I hate digital. I was doing mostly wood work until a chap approached me with the offer to supply radios/parts if I'd fix 'em. Sounded good.

I was a ham-novice (WN6VRA) back in the mid-sixties but when I went overseas for five years (Thailand-Spain) I didn't ever get back into it.

I'm pretty much the recluse-VietnamVet-curmudgeonly-antidigital geezer.

I look forward to being here.
Tony
Back to top Go down
sewardf

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-03-21, 4:56 pm

Your comment makes me want to get the back off and check that out. Thanks for the input. Glad to be a member.
Back to top Go down
Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-03-21, 4:39 pm

Glad to have you as a member! I also have the same model. I had to replace the on-off switch with a toggle switch on the side.

PostSubject: New Sign in.    2013-03-20, 3:27 pm

Greetings,

Never expected to be doing this but a short time ago in my continuing effort to clean house I decided to get out my Grundig Model 960 and decide whether to junk it or get it fixed. Several years ago when I turned it on it would operate for a few minutes and over time the operation time when down to zero. I hear a static click when I turn it on and that is it. When it operated it sounded good and it looks nice when displayed. So that is where I am. I searched the Web and came up with this site. Radio was made in 1999 according to the sticker on the back. Will remove the back one of these days but maybe someone can suggest the problem.

Sewardf = the name Seward Ford and I live in Windsor CT. Semiretired at 73. I have been a ham radio operator since the mid 60s. Not currently active since I live in condo. Do operate 2 meters from my boat on the Erie Canal in upstate NY. I am a Michigan State graduate in electrical engineering. My business career has been associated with visual aids for pilots (lighting fixtures, runway and taxiway including power distribution and control) and I now do some consulting and teach at airports the The Fundamentals of Airport Lighting Systems. We are in the process of transitioning from incandescent to LED light sources.

Ok, that is enough about me. Will follow the group and get into the right forum.

73s Seward
Back to top Go down
Bill Cahill

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-02-26, 12:55 am

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you with us.
Bill Cahill

maui1939

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-02-25, 9:12 pm

Hi,
My name is maui1939. you guessed it, I am 73 years old, and was born in 1939, in the land of aloha, the island
of Oahu, and after retiring from the military, I moved to Maui Hawaii. My interests are varied, As I build Harley Motorcycles, build Robot's, Rebuild Antique Electronic equiptment, build my own test equiptment, and the list goes on. my hobbies are just a varied, teach the Ukalele, guitar, and repair same, Luthier. Presently living in Henderson Nevada, where we bought a home. Love old technology. I may add more to this later. Thank you for
accepting me on this forum, and will try not to be a bore, and the key word here is try.
Mahalo,and aloha.
Back to top Go down
Bill Cahill

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-01-30, 11:29 am

Welcome Mike. Glad to have you with us.
Bill Cahill

oldaudio

PostSubject: about me   2013-01-30, 10:58 am

Name: Mike Durff
User Name: oldaudio
Where did you get your username? repaired audio equipment for 40 + years
Birthday: Haloween
Interests: AF & RF
Hobbies: Ham radio
Please feel free to reply with additional information.
Was introduced to commercial AM by an old army buddy of my fathers' in the mid 1950's. He was an engineer at an AM broadcast station. In 1960 a neighbor moved and gave me his old RCA console. It had shortwave bands on it...been hooked ever since. Was licensed as 3rd class in 1963 and worked at an AM station in the summers as an intern. Attended a technical HS and majored in Radio & TV repair. Licensed as a ham in 1967 WA4ZYL (ex). Worked for Bell telephone straight out of High School. Got my 1st class phone ticket around that time. Retired from the CN/I.C.R.R. comm dept in 2003.
Back to top Go down
Bill Cahill

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-01-27, 2:23 pm

Welcome to the forums........
Bill Cahill

Cliff Jones
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-01-27, 12:42 pm

Glad to see you join. My first Radio project while in High School was an after hours club on campus. It was a one tube job. Got it to work too.

Also Welcome to Exprof, Anything that both of you bring to our forum will be an asset. Very Happy

PostSubject: Happy new member here!   2013-01-27, 7:31 am

Hello,

Quick into:

When I was 15 my dad gave me a broken Crosley 124 cathedral to play with. Shocked
I was able to fix it!! I'm 49 yrs old now.
I've been hooked on antique radios since then.
In my collection I have over 100 different models: clocks, end tables, radiobar, etc...
I even became a CET, been in consumer & industrial electronics ever since.

I look forward to browsing your forum

thank you,
Jose

PS
I still have the Crosley 124 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: New Members Please introduce yourself.   2013-01-15, 1:40 pm

Welcome Mike.
Glad you found us.
Back to top Go down

New Members Please introduce yourself.